Stopping CS when daughter gets married

Archive of Ask A Lawyer answers provided before April of 2005. Many of these answers can also be found in the current Ask A Lawyer section.

Stopping CS when daughter gets married

Postby dadsdivorce » Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:26 am

I am in Texas. Nine months ago my ex-wife let my daughter get married without my knowledge. Since I found out I stopped paying child support. Now my daughter is moving back home and she might be getting divorced. Since she is not yet 18, do I have to pay child support again?
dadsdivorce
Site Admin

Postby dadsdivorce » Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:26 am

Most jurisdictions would consider a married child emancipated. Once a child is emancipated for any reason, it is not possible to "unemancipate" the child. Therefore, if Texas considers a married "child" to be emancipated, you are correct in terminating the child support. You did not specify how old your child was when she married. Some jurisdictions require the approval of both parents to allow a very young child to marry. If Texas does require the consent of both parents, the marriage may not be valid. In that scenario your daughter would not have been legally married and therefore would not be emancipated. I suggest that you consult with a local attorney to discuss these issues.
dadsdivorce
Site Admin

Return to Ask a Lawyer Archives