What affects the outcome of custody cases?

Archive of Ask A Lawyer answers provided before April of 2005. Many of these answers can also be found in the current Ask A Lawyer section.

What affects the outcome of custody cases?

Postby dadsdivorce » Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:25 am

I live in Texas my wife had an affair for over a year she got pregnant by another man and then tried to cover the adultery by getting an abortion. I was the father who took my two girls to play outside, gave them baths, cleaned the house and cooked the majority of the time how strong is my case if I also have an old neighbor who can testify to me doing the majority of the Mr. MOM role. Her boyfriend is also married seeking a divorce from his present wife and has often made comments on e-mails stating if he saw us together that he would not be responsible for what happened. I also have e-mails with him stating that he is not a good enemy to have, directing them to my soon to be ex-wife. Basically in the best interest of my two girls I would like to have primary custody of them.
dadsdivorce
Site Admin

Postby dadsdivorce » Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:25 am

Most child custody provisions are very discretionary with the trial judge. Therefore, one of the most (if not the most) important factor is the judge that will hear the custody case. Based upon the facts presented you should have a good case for sole physical custody. Other factors such as work schedule and disctance between where you and your wife will reside after the divorce are often factors in custody disputes.
dadsdivorce
Site Admin

Return to Ask a Lawyer Archives