GAL And a 13 year old

Parental Alienation Syndrome, Malicious Mother Syndrome, dealing with the ex, and various other non-legal concerns throughout the process.

GAL And a 13 year old

Postby DanandBettie » Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:12 am

Good Morning Gentlemen,

We are concidering taking ex to court on the grounds of denied access. She has cancelled over 20 visitations with my daughter. What are the odds the GAL would see that my daughter has been brainwashed and the mother has used PAS on her. I know for a fact that PAS has been used because my daughter hates me when she is with her mother and Loves me when she is not. This poor child is co mixed up and confused.She is now in the stage of the independent thinker, example" Dad I don't want to come visit you anymore." Dad says why? Daughter replies," Cuz" and doesn't see Dad for 4 months. Dad has tryied with no luck. Dad asked daughter about why she did that and she said cuz, I wanted to. We heard mom threatened her to end all contact with dad.

We need alot of help and fast. What should we do? Court is definately an option and we have appointment with lawyer. Daughter is 13 and we live in Wisconsin.
DanandBettie

Re: GAL And a 13 year old

Postby Pete » Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:23 am

You have asked this question multiple times over the last few weeks. I am not sure if the answers have changed.

You will need to have an independent counselor spend time with your daughter, and PAS is far more severe than what you have stated, but the framework appears to be there.

The GAL will be evaluating the parents,not the child.

When dealing with the GAL do not try to make your case for PAS, simply show how good and loving a father you are. Do not try to denigrate the ex to the GAL--this will damage the GALs view of you.

As have been advised before...seek to modify custody, but you will likely need more 'evidence' against the ex...but I will leave that to the lawyers.
Pete

Postby DanandBettie » Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:51 am

Independant councilor? What exactly is that? Can you give us a list of do's and don't's with a GAL if they are going to be evaluating us?

I just want what is best for our daughter. The ex will fry herself I am sure, but I don't want to fry myself with the GAL.

13 year olds; Do they have a pretty big pull in the courts if they have been a victim of PAS? or brainwashing?

What kind of witnesses shouldd I have if I need them?

Thanks Guys,
DanandBettie

Postby Investigate8 » Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:58 am

I would be against getting a GAL involved. These people are notoriously mother-friendly and have a great way of downplaying the types of events you described. In most cases they are attorneys working on the side to make a few extra bucks.

You need to get a QUALIFIED psychologist involved to evaluate both parties including the daughter. Do some research on professionals in your area and then petition the court for a psych eval. As I said before- you most likely will end up footing the bill for the whole thing.
Investigate8

Postby Lawmoe » Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:03 am

You may file a Motion for Contempt based on the denial of parental access. Additionally, under Wisconsin law a continuous and willful denial of parental access may be a basis to change physical placement. However, placement is rarely changed under such circumstances.

As part of your motion you should also seek counseling for your daughter in order to get to the root of the issues that she is having with you. If the counseling occurs and bears out the fact that your ex is attempting to alientate your child from you, that counselor becomes an important witness.

I am licensed in WI, and you can find some information at http://www.wisconsindivorcelawyers.com
Lawmoe

Postby DanandBettie » Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:14 am

Licensed huh!!!!! Where are you located? I have been saying I wan ther in counciling to get to the root of the problem. I will tell my lawyer this and see where it goes. I to do not want a gal but I thought the Judge would push for it.

Now myinsurance company pays for counceling so would I still have to pay for it out of my pocket? Can't I ask for the ex to pay half because she is the reason the daughter needs it?
DanandBettie

Postby Lawmoe » Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:18 am

I am actually in Minnesota, but work in Wisconsin's Western Counties (Polk, Pierce, St. Croix, Barron, Dunn)
Lawmoe

Postby Lawmoe » Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:19 am

If insurance covers it, you should not have to pay. If there is an out of pocket cost, you should ask for that to be divided.
Lawmoe

Postby Onyx » Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:25 am

I would have to agree to a point.... BUT. with this man's situation, he would stand a chance. Things are changing rapidly in the courts. The GAL is looking for the "best interest of the child". From what the poster has written, it doesnt look as if he is seeking change of custody *unless I missed something, in which case, I apologize*.... it looks as if he wants his fair and equal time with his daughter. I cant see a GAL arguing with that. You also might want to remember (as a Mother of a 13 year old myself) that these kids see us all as "dorks" and of course, we arent cool to hang with anymore. My son hangs out with his Dad, and we are all lucky that they have a great relationship... there are, however, some weekends that he decides to go to a friends house. BUT- I couldnt imagine him meeting my ex with rude behavior. So, in this case, there must be something wrong with the way the Mother is slanting this girls view of her Father. Which is WORNG on every level. If he can document, and remember, and fight for this... there could be court ordered counseling offered for his daughter. That could only help. Perhaps he can ask for "family" counseling. While the family is no longer in tact, they still have to deal with each other. I dont think it would be a bad idea, seeing as he needs to be in his childs life. Just my two cents. Blessings, Onyx

Investigate8 wrote:

> I would be against getting a GAL involved. These people are
> notoriously mother-friendly and have a great way of downplaying
> the types of events you described. In most cases they are
> attorneys working on the side to make a few extra bucks.
>
> You need to get a QUALIFIED psychologist involved to evaluate
> both parties including the daughter. Do some research on
> professionals in your area and then petition the court for a
> psych eval. As I said before- you most likely will end up
> footing the bill for the whole thing.

[%sig%]
Onyx

Return to Parenting - Child Custody Forum and Child Support Forum