Acknowledgment of Service Form

Tips on divorce for men considering or starting the divorce process. Get marriage separation tips for men in this divorce forum and child custody forum.

Acknowledgment of Service Form

Postby marriedAspoiledBrat » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:55 pm

we are trying to do an uncontested divorce. I am hoping for a longer separation period. We are in Georgia and I don't believe there is a legal separation. Regardless, she is at her parents, I am in the house. I have a draft of the divorce papers on everything we agreed on, but there are still a few things I don't agree on. If I sign this "Acknowledgment Of Service" form, am I giving up any rights or screwing myself down the road if it becomes contested ??
marriedAspoiledBrat
10+ Posts

Re: Acknowledgment of Service Form

Postby Thoughts? » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:01 pm

Am not fluent in Georgian but gotta ask, the devil's in the detail. What is the acknowledgement of service for -- in other words, what documents were served on you? That seems to be the magic question -- were you served with a subpoena, an order to appear & show cause, a motion to enter her desired version of the decree with the court, a motion to compel? The act of service, and the acknowledgement of service, goes with what was served at the time, I would think.

There are a couple of folks with some GA knowledge here, Father of Four being one. Hopefully they'll chime in and clarify if I'm on drugs or not.
The board is the sum of all of your great posts...Help divorced men be great dads! Divorce help in a father friendly divorce forum....more tips on how to deal with your divorce at DadsDivorce.com
Thoughts?

Postby Fatheroffour » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:44 pm

The acknowledgement of service form is used so that she doesn't have to go through the time and expense of having you formally served by a process server.

However, if you don't agree to the terms of what she has served you with there is no reason for you to sign it. I'd say sit down and get your agreements agreed upon.

The first time I used the form my kids mom wouldn't sign it. It was a contested custody case. The other time was with a different ex and I mailed her the forms along with the entire divorce petition and settlement agreement, she signed and sent it back and it was filed with the court, 30 days later it was done.

Again, unless you agree to the terms I don't see a reason to sign it. I am not an attorney, BTW, and this is not legal advice. Just my experience.
Everyone lies.
Fatheroffour

Postby Thoughts? » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:25 pm

Yeah, what he said.
The board is the sum of all of your great posts...Help divorced men be great dads! Divorce help in a father friendly divorce forum....more tips on how to deal with your divorce at DadsDivorce.com
Thoughts?

Postby marriedAspoiledBrat » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:07 pm

She says it just acknowledges that I know she is filing for divorce. And this way I do t have to be served.
marriedAspoiledBrat
10+ Posts

Postby Fatheroffour » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:14 pm

While what she says is true, it doesn't bode well for you that you are asking her what the forms she is sending you mean. Google is a much more reliable source of information than your opponent in a lawsuit.
Everyone lies.
Fatheroffour

Postby minuette » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:41 pm

Way back when, I sent my now-ex-husband an Ackowledgement, Stipulation and Waiver form for our divorce case. Attached to that form was a copy of everything I'd filed with the court as of that date (the petition, property declaration and such) and blanks of forms he could file (the response, property declarations and such). We didn't file the Marital Settlement Agreement and finish the case until six months or so later.

So, Question #1: Are there any forms or attachments listed on the Acknowledgement of Service form as having been provided to you?

Q#2: Do you have all the forms listed in the acknowledgement form, both the copies of what she filed and the copies of what you'd submit if you filed a response?

Q#3: Have you gone to the court clerk's office and reviewed the case file to see what's in there?
Trivial or impure dreaming literally rots the fabric of the future. --Lawrence Durrell
minuette
1K+ Posts

Postby marriedAspoiledBrat » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:02 am

Fatheroffour wrote:While what she says is true, it doesn't bode well for you that you are asking her what the forms she is sending you mean. Google is a much more reliable source of information than your opponent in a lawsuit.

I'm just asking her to see what she tells me. Not relying on for info.
marriedAspoiledBrat
10+ Posts

Postby marriedAspoiledBrat » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:17 am

minuette wrote:Way back when, I sent my now-ex-husband an Ackowledgement, Stipulation and Waiver form for our divorce case. Attached to that form was a copy of everything I'd filed with the court as of that date (the petition, property declaration and such) and blanks of forms he could file (the response, property declarations and such). We didn't file the Marital Settlement Agreement and finish the case until six months or so later.

So, Question #1: Are there any forms or attachments listed on the Acknowledgement of Service form as having been provided to you?

Q#2: Do you have all the forms listed in the acknowledgement form, both the copies of what she filed and the copies of what you'd submit if you filed a response?

Q#3: Have you gone to the court clerk's office and reviewed the case file to see what's in there?

I have a complaint for divorce form that was filed with the court. A standing order that was filed with the court. A settlement agreement on everything we agreed on. A parenting plan order. And the agreement of service. I attached a pic of the agreement I service form.
Last edited by marriedAspoiledBrat on Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marriedAspoiledBrat
10+ Posts

Postby Trevor » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:09 pm

You may want to edit your name out of the pic you just posted. Sayin'.
Dual Parenting, not Duel Parenting.
Trevor

Next

Return to Before and During Divorce Forum