Which is worse: kids with nut-job mom or kids with no mom?

Parental Alienation Syndrome, Malicious Mother Syndrome, dealing with the ex, and various other non-legal concerns throughout the process.

Which is worse: kids with nut-job mom or kids with no mom?

Postby SeattleDadof3 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:05 pm

My wife and I have been going back and forth between divorce and counseling for the past 6 months after I discovered she had been having an affair with a guy she met in alcoholism rehab. Her boyfriend is a bigger nut job than she is and even more unstable. She filed a restraining order against him a week before he went to prison but soon dropped the order and continued her affair with him while he's been in prison.

Anyway, now she's started drinking again and freaked out on me last night in front of the kids. I had to call 911 and she was charged with gross misdemeanor domestic violence.

Before this, I believed that it was important for my kids to have a mom in their life and I was going to work for 50/50 custody.

Now I wonder if my kids would really be better off without her. It sucks either way but I hate to think of them spending 50% of their time with an alcoholic, violent, mental case who is likely going to be shacked up with a bipolar felon once her boyfriend gets out of prison.

I know it will be an uphill battle to get even 50% custody, let alone 100%, but my question is really whether that would be best for the kids in the long run. Anybody have any words of wisdom to help me choose between the lessor of two evils?

Thanks.
SeattleDadof3
New

Re: Which is worse: kids with nut-job mom or kids with no mo

Postby nighthawk » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:19 pm

I don't think you have the choice. I think you should present the evidence and let the court decide. In the end, whatever will be, you will tell your kids, when their older, mommy did what she did and the court decided. And that you are there for them and will always be there for them.
"I'll never give up trying to help my little girl!!"
nighthawk
1K+ Posts

Postby Fatheroffour » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:40 pm

Unless you're going to kill her, no mom isn't an option.
Everyone lies.
Fatheroffour

Postby Trevor » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:40 pm

To be clear, we don't advocate killing anyone here. Sayin'.
Dual Parenting, not Duel Parenting.
Trevor

Postby Fatheroffour » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:19 pm

Yeah. That would be a little over the top.
Everyone lies.
Fatheroffour

Postby nighthawk » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:24 pm

It may be cheaper. Oh, lets get real, it's defiantly cheaper! :lol:
nighthawk
1K+ Posts

Postby demurrer » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:07 am

You're talking the wrong approach. The kids will always have their mom.

You want to set yourself up to be the primary custodian (aka sole decision-maker) for your kids and let stbx off the hook easily by giving her some legally permissible < parenting time > schedule.

Let her drink as much as she wants (and do other things that make it easier to show that you are the only parent that will look after the best interests of the children). It makes it easier to justify you as primary that graciously permits her to have supervised daytime < parenting time >.
My nj/stbx cost me around USD 8,000 per fornication session.

My nj/stbx had this in mind (and still does) for me: the manipulated man by Esther Vilar

"Husband pays" quote from my stbx
demurrer
50+ Posts

Postby newwife » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:22 am

You know, I've wondered the same thing about my SD. Her mom is an NJ, crazy, unstable, bad influence.
This past pickup her NJ mom had her pack up all her things and take them with her. She said she just doesn't want her anymore.
And you know what? I've never seen my SD so stress free.

And I also had an NJ mom. when i was younger i cut her out as much as a teenager could. as an adult i have cut her out completely. I have never had such a drama-free time in my life.

Go for full custody. you can't cut NJ out completely, but you can lessen her influence on your children.
Trust me, they will thank you when they look at her thru grown-up eyes.
Trust me.
newwife
500+ Posts

Postby nighthawk » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:59 am

newwife wrote:You know, I've wondered the same thing about my SD. Her mom is an NJ, crazy, unstable, bad influence.
This past pickup her NJ mom had her pack up all her things and take them with her. She said she just doesn't want her anymore.
And you know what? I've never seen my SD so stress free.

And I also had an NJ mom. when i was younger i cut her out as much as a teenager could. as an adult i have cut her out completely. I have never had such a drama-free time in my life.

Go for full custody. you can't cut NJ out completely, but you can lessen her influence on your children.
Trust me, they will thank you when they look at her thru grown-up eyes.
Trust me.

When I was seven, my mother did everything she could do to cut my dad from my life, also told me how sorry he was all the time,"the ressons why she was protecting me from him". When I got to that rebellious stage in my life, I did everything I could do to prove her wrong about my dad, even though I had to take alot of bad knocks because of it, I still have bad feelings for my mom for the way she did it.

Let the court decide, it's not your decision.
Never bad mouth their mother to them.
Never lay claim to the courts decision.
Let the children find their own feelings out, about their mom.
nighthawk
1K+ Posts

Postby SeattleDadof3 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:17 am

Thanks for all the great feedback and support, guys.

I know their mom will always be their mom and I would never say anything to them to make them feel bad about their mom. I also know that the court will ultimately decide what they think is best. The question in mind is still really about what I should fight for, and how hard.

NJ called me from jail yesterday morning asking if I would go back to marriage counseling with her. I told her I didn't think it would help but I would give it a try. A few hours after she got out of jail I was served papers. Her statement is filled with lies and inaccuracies. She's asking to be primary with me getting every other weekend. Plus she wants so much money that I would have to declare bankruptcy and foreclose on the house that our kids have grown up in.

So I need to decide how hard to fight back since nearly everything on this forum seems to support a theory that there is a correlation between how hard you fight and how much you get. Do I fight hard enough to get to 50%, or fight harder to try to get to 100%? That's the question I'm facing, and the answer I seem to be coming to is that I need to fight as hard as I can and try for 100%, knowing that the court will do what they are going to do but will likely only award me as much custody as I fight for.
SeattleDadof3
New

Next

Return to Parenting - Child Custody Forum and Child Support Forum