how to locate hidden bank accounts?

Get financial advice on divorce and asset division including child support laws, legal separation advice and divorce settlements.

Re: how to locate hidden bank accounts?

Postby Fatheroffour » Sat May 05, 2012 5:58 pm

I'm looking at a Equifax report I pulled two weeks ago and there is no mention of my bank or credit union accounts.
Everyone lies.
Fatheroffour

Postby Kodiak » Sat May 05, 2012 6:59 pm

I just pulled my credit report via annualcreditreport dot com. This is the official site set up by the 3 credit agencies to fulfill federal law that every person has the right to a free copy of their report from each company each year. It doesn't have the score #, but it does list every account related to borrowing we have had for many years. All the credit cards, car loans, addresses, etc. If it is only a savings account I don't know if it would be reported. If there is any kind of overdraft credit line on a checking account it should show up. My brokerage account and retirement accounts do not show up.
Kodiak
New

Postby stb_divorced » Sat May 05, 2012 10:34 pm

there is another man in her life? stop looking for the obvious - banking accts in her name... look for the OM and then do the investigation on his assets!
stb_divorced
100+ Posts

Postby kidsdadtexas » Mon May 07, 2012 1:23 am

The name of the bank may not be listed on the credit report as a bank account. However most banks will review credit when opening an account. These are listed in the inquiry section and most likely will be listed as a hard inquiry. The credit report list all inquiries for the past 2 years. If you can legally access her credit report this could be helpful.

Most people bank within a few mile radius of there residence, which narrows the search. Under the circumstances she may have traveled oustide this 3-5 mile radius.

You could send her a money order anonymously and hope she deposits it. Then place a trace on the money order to see where it was deposited.

Probably worth hiring a pro to locate the bank account. They have all sorts of tips and tricks to finding assets. I've heard of bank credit card telemarketing calls and slamming them into an application for credit while asking "where do you bank"

If there is taxable interest on the money then it would have been reported to the IRS. Is it easier to get a copy of the 1099's filed with her tax returns? If you filed a joint return, then execute form 4506T and request a transcript of 1099's and the IRS will send you a record of all 1099's reported to the IRS. This will only work if you filed a joint tax return. Although the 4506 has both of your signature lines they will only require signature for one of the two tax payers.
If you're happy and you know it thank your ex
If you're happy and you know it then your kids will really show it
kidsdadtexas
500+ Posts

Postby jerico08 » Mon May 07, 2012 9:04 am

Do you think she just has the whole 200k sitting in the bank as one lump sum? If she is tricky enough to keep it hidden from you for so long then she's smart enough to spread it around using friends, safe deposit boxes for cash, etc. You may end up spending money and only finding one account tgat has a few grand.
Unless ts obvious your probably not going to find much.

Start working under the tablle PT and start stashing some for yourself.
"Poor planning on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on my part".
jerico08
1K+ Posts

Postby burnedman » Mon May 07, 2012 12:03 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. Kidsdadtexas had a great suggestion, that of looking at the inquiry section of a credit report. None was listed since our mortgage refinancing. So any account she has is at our local bank. That means that her hidden assets are mostly in the form of jewelry. Last year she told me (during an argument) that I can't steal her jewelry as she is having a friend keep it for her. There are only two or three she would trust with her jewelry, but getting a court order or subpoena for her friends to produce any of her assets appears to me to be impossible.
burnedman
10+ Posts

Postby jerico08 » Mon May 07, 2012 2:27 pm

Unfortunately yes. Once you get into third party and hearsay that a friend of a friend might be holding her jewels its very hard to nail down. Look at it this way, as long as she isnt holding your jewels anymore it's a good day.
"Poor planning on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on my part".
jerico08
1K+ Posts

Postby Fatheroffour » Mon May 07, 2012 2:56 pm

Hmmm.

If I had a strong suspiscion where 200K dollars of my undocumented money was stockpiled in jewelry, I believe I would go on a secret mission to retrieve it.
Everyone lies.
Fatheroffour

Postby Thermite » Mon May 07, 2012 5:07 pm

If she "invested" this 200K in jewelry, bought from jewelry stores, chances are you could only get $40K back for it from the smelter...
Thermite
500+ Posts

Postby Chris A » Tue May 08, 2012 3:26 am

Thermite wrote:If she "invested" this 200K in jewelry, bought from jewelry stores, chances are you could only get $40K back for it from the smelter...

Yep tried to sell the old wedding ring I paid over $5,000 for. I got about $700 for it.
“Women can fake orgasms. But men can fake whole relationships.”
Chris A
500+ Posts

Previous Next

Return to Financial Advice Divorce Forum