Can I just change my phone number?

Advice on divorce for men considering or starting the divorce process. Get marriage separation advice for men in this divorce forum and child custody forum.

Re: Can I just change my phone number?

Postby Anza » Sat May 05, 2012 11:53 am

Bubba,

Straight to vm is how mine is set for nj and her family. G-voice will also transcribe the vm into a text message and/or email if you wish. It's handy in screening through the message for any points of interest.
The transcription is not always perfect but it easily gets the point across.
If you have issues, drop me a PM and I will see what I can do to help you get it going.
Anza
50+ Posts

Postby BubbaGumpShrimp » Sat May 05, 2012 12:32 pm

BartSimpson wrote:I had to maintain two degrees of separation - I didn't have contact with anyone who had contact with my NJ. That may not be an issue for you specifically, but good on you for getting off Facebook. I say it for the Dads looking over our shoulders.

In the midst of my circumstances, I had to close the back door to my life. As a professional, there was an effective layer between me and the phone (try calling your Doctor), but I had created a back door for my family and friends - my private number that I had for many, many years. How can I give that up, just because my crazy NJ is blowing it up?

I never regretted it - time marched on and with email, the internet and cell phones I managed to keep in touch with those same family and friends, so the specific number wasn't important. Change you number today.

Yup. She just called three more times and pushed that change. That VM service would be great for someone...not her. She can call me from work or a friends phone just to keep the harassment going.

CCR wrote:I screen every call. If I had a NJ, I've never answer; she can leave a message. I'll also listen to the first 5 seconds of the message right away....if it's a NJ message, 5 seconds is all she gets.

Yup...that's what I did until this morning. Yeah...I would not waste my time to listen to her voicemails (past the first few seconds).

Anza wrote:Bubba,

Straight to vm is how mine is set for nj and her family. G-voice will also transcribe the vm into a text message and/or email if you wish. It's handy in screening through the message for any points of interest.
The transcription is not always perfect but it easily gets the point across.
If you have issues, drop me a PM and I will see what I can do to help you get it going.

I appreciate the offer. I had to go ahead and just change the number. 10 calls in the span of the last four hours. :evil:

Seriously...WTF did she think was going to happen by calling me 10 ******* times in one day? :roll:
BubbaGumpShrimp
1K+ Posts

Postby Trevor » Sat May 05, 2012 1:37 pm

She thought it would rattle you. And it has. She wins. Happy?
Dual Parenting, not Duel Parenting.
Trevor

Postby defaultuser » Sat May 05, 2012 1:41 pm

BubbaGumpShrimp wrote:I appreciate the offer. I had to go ahead and just change the number. 10 calls in the span of the last four hours.

Seriously...WTF did she think was going to happen by calling me 10 ******* times in one day?

Google voice is nice. I use it, but the simple solution would be to just assign a silent ring tone to your X's number. That way you won't even be bothered when she calls.

If you don't have the maturity to ignore BS like this, you'll never be at peace...
The List
Read it.
defaultuser

Postby BubbaGumpShrimp » Sat May 05, 2012 3:49 pm

Trevor wrote:She thought it would rattle you. And it has. She wins. Happy?

She no longer has a place to leave long B.S. voicemails. I got an excuse to change my phone number to the area where I'll be living full-time from now on. One more step in the right direction, in my book.

She's a NJ. By leaving occasional voicemails and text messages since I left, she knew that I was going to have to at least read them (whether or not I replied was another matter).

Knowing her...I would bet a months salary that she called as many times as she did today because she thought that I'd eventually get annoyed, answer the phone, and say something stupid (which is what she's been gunning for all along). Tomorrow being our anniversary...she also knows that if I don't pick up the phone today or tomorrow...I am definitely not coming back (in her head...I have no valid concerns and she's been working towards convincing me to come home).

She lost what for her has been a BIG outlet for her frustration over the past month. So yeah...I can see how she won that round (note the sarcasm).

She is still in my house...so yeah...technically...she is "winning" at the moment.

defaultuser wrote:
BubbaGumpShrimp wrote:I appreciate the offer. I had to go ahead and just change the number. 10 calls in the span of the last four hours.

Seriously...WTF did she think was going to happen by calling me 10 ******* times in one day?

Google voice is nice. I use it, but the simple solution would be to just assign a silent ring tone to your X's number. That way you won't even be bothered when she calls.

If you don't have the maturity to ignore BS like this, you'll never be at peace...[/quote]

The "maturity" to ignore it? That's an interesting choice of words. I just eliminated her only means left to harass me. There's 500 miles separating us. I've had more peace in the past month than you can possibly imagine. ;)
BubbaGumpShrimp
1K+ Posts

Postby defaultuser » Sat May 05, 2012 7:33 pm

I have a neighbor, friend of a friend. She was recommended to watch my dogs when I was out of town. I hired her. She was awful, although she is some kind of animal rights loon.

Anyway, she was expecting me to hire her back and she knew when I was going out of town and she had a key. I didn't hire her and had someone else instead. She assumed that I left the dogs alone and sent me several threatening texts and voice mails about calling animal control or whatever for leaving my dogs alone. Didn't respond, other than to ask for my key back. Had my friend ask her to. NJ refused.

I just changed the locks and went on my way. This was maybe 8 months ago, and I still get texts and phone calls from her from time to time. She's 100% bat < feces > crazy. She's on my 'ignore' list and I just don't respond in any way. It doesn't get my goat up either. My heart doesn't beat faster when she calls.

Obviously, when your X calls you, you get excited, agitated, whatever, hence the effort to change your number. All I'm saying is give up your self importance and let pretend you're the sands of a seashore and let the drama wash over you without affecting you. Its no big deal. We all have NJ's in our life to some extent. Giving them the attention they crave so much by paying attention to them, or even letting them know you're bothered by them is just feeding the beast.
The List
Read it.
defaultuser

Postby demurrer » Sun May 06, 2012 10:17 pm

+1 for Google Voice.

Another tool for the tool box: I've seen a reference for slydial on this website to deliver voice mail directly so you can avoid a conversation. Example, "Hi love bunny, I picked up the kids at school so you won't have to and will return them to school in the morning. xoxoxo".

At first I set my ring tone to the Star Wars Darth Vader imperial march tune for numbers my nj/stbx would call from. It rang so many times my co-workers think I'm a Star Wars freak.

Then I got bored with calls from her and set it to a silent tone.

Once in a while I like to take a call from her to add to my audio collection.

%%%%%
And while you're setting up Google Voice look at setting up 2-step verification for your Google account. With 2-step you need 2 passwords: a) your usual password (that anyone can steal) and b) a 6 digit pin that changes every 60 seconds.

https://support.google.com/accounts/bin ... 80744&rd=1
%%%%%
My nj/stbx cost me around USD 8,000 per fornication session.

My nj/stbx had this in mind (and still does) for me: the manipulated man by Esther Vilar

"Husband pays" quote from my stbx
demurrer
50+ Posts

Previous

Return to Before and During Divorce Forum