Can I just change my phone number?

Advice on divorce for men considering or starting the divorce process. Get marriage separation advice for men in this divorce forum and child custody forum.

Can I just change my phone number?

Postby BubbaGumpShrimp » Sat May 05, 2012 9:38 am

I'm going into month two of my six month separation. I'm sick of being harassed on a daily basis (I've already gotten seven calls today). Can I just change my phone number...or is there going to be any negative implications from doing that? I can't imagine that there would be...I'm just trying to be thorough.

I already sent her two emails early on telling her to just contact my attorney if she has any questions (she won't stick to on-topic issues when we did talk...i.e. the house). The conversation always drifts back to her trying to con me into coming back. We have nothing left to discuss (she doesn't think that I have legitimate grievances).

Tomorrow is our one year anniversary (yeah...lol). The harassment is only going to get worse once she processes that she's not going to talk me into coming back (no communication on an anniversary SHOULD provide that hint).

Your vote? Just cancel it and leave it at that? Cancel it, send the attorney and her an email stating that fact, etc.? Thank you.
BubbaGumpShrimp
1K+ Posts

Re: Can I just change my phone number?

Postby Fatheroffour » Sat May 05, 2012 9:54 am

You've already run from the home. Why wouldn't you change your phone number?

FFR, get a Google Voice number and use it from now one.
Everyone lies.
Fatheroffour

Postby BartSimpson » Sat May 05, 2012 10:00 am

Google voice was invented for handling NJ's and bill collectors.

Change your number, and get Google Voice. Guess which number you give out.

Please do not rely on "hints" - every single thing you do should indicate it's over.

And please tell me you are not posting on Facebook.
"I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.”
― my neighbor Jack
BartSimpson
10K Club

Postby Anza » Sat May 05, 2012 10:06 am

Bubba,
FOF is right on track with google voice. I set a number when my debacle was in full swing and it was and remains extremely helpfull in managing the communications. Look it up, read the.capabilities and you find it has many helpfull capabilities, like individual blocking or straight to vm....
Anza
50+ Posts

Postby BubbaGumpShrimp » Sat May 05, 2012 10:10 am

Fatheroffour wrote:You've already run from the home. Why wouldn't you change your phone number?

FFR, get a Google Voice number and use it from now one.

I don't know. :oops: I'm way out of my element here.

BartSimpson wrote:Google voice was invented for handling NJ's and bill collectors.

Change your number, and get Google Voice. Guess which number you give out.

Please do not rely on "hints" - every single thing you do should indicate it's over.

And please tell me you are not posting on Facebook.

I'm on Google Voice now. What do I do? Port my number to google voice and get another one to use for the phone?

No. I deleted my account before I kicked off this whole mess. I have zero online presence from any of the forum, social network, or email services that I used during the marriage.

Anza wrote:Bubba,
FOF is right on track with google voice. I set a number when my debacle was in full swing and it was and remains extremely helpfull in managing the communications. Look it up, read the.capabilities and you find it has many helpfull capabilities, like individual blocking or straight to vm....

I'll try to figure it out. I'm not exactly tech savvy. I don't really care if I have to change my number (there won't be a disruption to my life). I no longer have an interest in collecting her voicemails. etc.What is the benefit to this?

Edit: I went with the light version. From the looks of it...this service would be good if you want to continue documenting your calls...right? However, the calls don't go to this service until they're missed and a voicemail is logged? It looks like this would have been very useful early on.
BubbaGumpShrimp
1K+ Posts

Postby BartSimpson » Sat May 05, 2012 10:23 am

You can start today by telling her that you changed cell carriers and have a new number - the existing Google Voice number. Turn off your phone and get a burner phone for a week and see if she takes to the program.

I see no harm in actually changing your number, a cleansing of the prior life, but not ever giving your cell number out; Google voice can be entirely the last phone number you ever have. Ask yourself who is calling you? After this beautiful relationship, my guess is you don't have many friends anymore.

Programming Google Voice is like email - if you're having problems, post questions in the Tech forum and one of these Dad's here can get their 8 year old kid to help you.
"I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.”
― my neighbor Jack
BartSimpson
10K Club

Postby BubbaGumpShrimp » Sat May 05, 2012 10:28 am

BartSimpson wrote:You can start today by telling her that you changed cell carriers and have a new number - the existing Google Voice number. Turn off your phone and get a burner phone for a week and see if she takes to the program.

I see no harm in actually changing your number, a cleansing of the prior life, but not ever giving your cell number out; Google voice can be entirely the last phone number you ever have. Ask yourself who is calling you? After this beautiful relationship, my guess is you don't have many friends anymore.

Programming Google Voice is like email - if you're having problems, post questions in the Tech forum and one of these Dad's here can get their 8 year old kid to help you.

Yeah...a month ago...I think that would have been useful. However, at this point...I don't really care to receive any communication from her...in any form. I was printing out texts and downloading voicemails. As a few people said...that wore on me after a few weeks. I'm just tired of messing with it at this point (hearing from her...period).

Yup. I'll be giving the new number out to work, a couple friends from my pre-marriage life, and family. That's it. Thank you for the advice.

:lol:
BubbaGumpShrimp
1K+ Posts

Postby BubbaGumpShrimp » Sat May 05, 2012 10:39 am

Ok...I'm going to try the straight to VM feature (if I can figure it out).
BubbaGumpShrimp
1K+ Posts

Postby BartSimpson » Sat May 05, 2012 10:46 am

I had to maintain two degrees of separation - I didn't have contact with anyone who had contact with my NJ. That may not be an issue for you specifically, but good on you for getting off Facebook. I say it for the Dads looking over our shoulders.

In the midst of my circumstances, I had to close the back door to my life. As a professional, there was an effective layer between me and the phone (try calling your Doctor), but I had created a back door for my family and friends - my private number that I had for many, many years. How can I give that up, just because my crazy NJ is blowing it up?

I never regretted it - time marched on and with email, the internet and cell phones I managed to keep in touch with those same family and friends, so the specific number wasn't important. Change you number today.
― my neighbor Jack
BartSimpson
10K Club

Postby CCR » Sat May 05, 2012 11:20 am

I screen every call. If I had a NJ, I've never answer; she can leave a message. I'll also listen to the first 5 seconds of the message right away....if it's a NJ message, 5 seconds is all she gets.
CCR
100+ Posts

Next

Return to Before and During Divorce Forum