What a mistake...

Humor, philosophical, theoretical postions, judicial reform, rants, etc.

What a mistake...

Postby stretchkr » Thu May 03, 2012 4:35 pm

I called a local lawyer, and paid them $550 for a one time session, to maybe guide me in the right direction as far as when to file for divorce, and how to go about it. Got very few answers, and the attorney acted like she really didnt care. Said there was no benifit in being the plaintiff, and not to go for primary custody, and that my stbx's income had little to do with the child support I would have to pay. After two days of being on this site, I have learned more than what i learned from her, and even found a free child support calculator, which was the same thing she used. Also found being the plantiff, and going for primary custody are not only obtainable, but needed in my divorce case if we can't reach a settlement..... What a waste of money, but thank you to all who post on here.
stretchkr
100+ Posts
 
Posts: 191
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 3:42 pm
Location: Mora, MN

Re: What a mistake...

Postby RC411V » Thu May 03, 2012 6:27 pm

bummer man, all you can say is live and learn I guess? I haven't paid any lawyers for a consultation, I don't feel like I can afford the ones who charge. It would seem that the ones worth paying just to talk a bit might be the better ones... guess you don't always get what you pay for though. I did hire a lawyer but she was an idiot. I ended up paying her about $900 to do a bit of discovery and go to court with me for 15 minutes, so who hte hell knows.

I think it was Father of Four that said hiring a lawyer is like a box of chocolates.

I have learned a lot about my judge from talking with different lawyers though, so maybe try more free consults and ask a lot of questions, compare the answers among the different attorneys and you will probably learn something without paying too much.
Opportunity knocks on your door every day. Answer it.

Every time you start to act like a girl, ask yourself 'What would John Wayne do?'

The List
User avatar
RC411V
1K+ Posts
 
Posts: 3167
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:05 pm
Location: In the lead

Re: What a mistake...

Postby dobradavid » Thu May 03, 2012 6:49 pm

Feel free to leave a negative review of the attorney on the internet - and you can complain to the state bar - quite possibly get your $500 back.

stretchkr wrote:I called a local lawyer, and paid them $550 for a one time session, to maybe guide me in the right direction as far as when to file for divorce, and how to go about it. Got very few answers, and the attorney acted like she really didnt care. Said there was no benifit in being the plaintiff, and not to go for primary custody, and that my stbx's income had little to do with the child support I would have to pay. After two days of being on this site, I have learned more than what i learned from her, and even found a free child support calculator, which was the same thing she used. Also found being the plantiff, and going for primary custody are not only obtainable, but needed in my divorce case if we can't reach a settlement..... What a waste of money, but thank you to all who post on here.
dobradavid
100+ Posts
 
Posts: 337
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:35 am

Re: What a mistake...

Postby defaultuser » Thu May 03, 2012 7:42 pm

At least you didn't hire her. Count yourself lucky.
The List
Read it.
defaultuser
Moderator
 
Posts: 9428
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:40 pm

Re: What a mistake...

Postby stb_divorced » Thu May 03, 2012 11:28 pm

what you should do is register the domain name in her name....

lawyername + review.com

or
lawyername + gavemeterribleadvice.com
lawyername + myhorrrorstory.com
lawyername + badadvice.com
lawyername + sucks.com
lawyername + screwedme.com

get the idea?

then go to fiverr.com and buy a little searchengine optimization + design if you need it. all this can be done under $50 easily. if you buy your domain on godaddy they give you free hosting too i think.

once you get it up and some good local traffic going start posting that domain name on every LOCAL website you can find in your area. you want LOCAL people seeing his info. find all his facebook and linked in contacts btw.... twitter too!

then contact that SOB lawyer and offer to sell them the site for $500 + your costs

trust me that lawyer will pay it. he's not afraid of the bar but he will be afraid of his local reputation.
stb_divorced
100+ Posts
 
Posts: 164
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:34 am

Re: What a mistake...

Postby Fatheroffour » Fri May 04, 2012 4:47 am

Nice.
Everyone lies.
User avatar
Fatheroffour
Moderator
 
Posts: 26596
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:37 am
Location: Top of the world

Re: What a mistake...

Postby Noyning » Fri May 04, 2012 11:10 am

Brilliant!!!

I'm keeping this one in my bag of tricks :twisted:

stb_divorced wrote:what you should do is register the domain name in her name....

lawyername + review.com

or
lawyername + gavemeterribleadvice.com
lawyername + myhorrrorstory.com
lawyername + badadvice.com
lawyername + sucks.com
lawyername + screwedme.com

get the idea?

then go to fiverr.com and buy a little searchengine optimization + design if you need it. all this can be done under $50 easily. if you buy your domain on godaddy they give you free hosting too i think.

once you get it up and some good local traffic going start posting that domain name on every LOCAL website you can find in your area. you want LOCAL people seeing his info. find all his facebook and linked in contacts btw.... twitter too!

then contact that SOB lawyer and offer to sell them the site for $500 + your costs

trust me that lawyer will pay it. he's not afraid of the bar but he will be afraid of his local reputation.
Noyning
100+ Posts
 
Posts: 204
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:39 pm
Location: Single dad with primary in Arizona

Re: What a mistake...

Postby formylilgirl » Sun May 06, 2012 10:40 am

any lawyer these days with half a brain will realize you can make very public reviews and comments about their services. thank you interwebs.

I wouldn't expect to find any lawyer who would reflect the info and insight you find here. That being said, if Cordell & Cordell practiced in my state/city, I would have hired them in a minute.
formylilgirl
100+ Posts
 
Posts: 421
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:48 pm

Re: What a mistake...

Postby formylilgirl » Sun May 06, 2012 10:42 am

Noyning wrote:Brilliant!!!

I'm keeping this one in my bag of tricks :twisted:

stb_divorced wrote:what you should do is register the domain name in her name....

lawyername + review.com

or
lawyername + gavemeterribleadvice.com
lawyername + myhorrrorstory.com
lawyername + badadvice.com
lawyername + sucks.com
lawyername + screwedme.com

get the idea?

then go to fiverr.com and buy a little searchengine optimization + design if you need it. all this can be done under $50 easily. if you buy your domain on godaddy they give you free hosting too i think.

once you get it up and some good local traffic going start posting that domain name on every LOCAL website you can find in your area. you want LOCAL people seeing his info. find all his facebook and linked in contacts btw.... twitter too!

then contact that SOB lawyer and offer to sell them the site for $500 + your costs

trust me that lawyer will pay it. he's not afraid of the bar but he will be afraid of his local reputation.


this is all fine but is it paranoid to think if they represent scumbags this could come back to &^%@ you in other ways?
formylilgirl
100+ Posts
 
Posts: 421
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:48 pm

Re: What a mistake...

Postby BubbaGumpShrimp » Sun May 06, 2012 12:01 pm

While that sucks, at least you were only into it for a few hundred bucks. I'll tell you why she said what she did. She...as with many of the attorneys in my area...do not want to actually have to do REAL work. They want you to come up with a Property Settlement Agreement yourself, you do all the legwork (i.e. negotiate with NJ), accept the pre-canned 50/50 custody, and they collect ~$1,500+ to just file a bit of paperwork. That or they want to bill at $400+/hr for every issue that comes up. At least the couple of lawyers that I spoke with in that group were honest about it.

formylilgirl wrote:
Noyning wrote:Brilliant!!!

I'm keeping this one in my bag of tricks :twisted:

stb_divorced wrote:what you should do is register the domain name in her name....

lawyername + review.com

or
lawyername + gavemeterribleadvice.com
lawyername + myhorrrorstory.com
lawyername + badadvice.com
lawyername + sucks.com
lawyername + screwedme.com

get the idea?

then go to fiverr.com and buy a little searchengine optimization + design if you need it. all this can be done under $50 easily. if you buy your domain on godaddy they give you free hosting too i think.

once you get it up and some good local traffic going start posting that domain name on every LOCAL website you can find in your area. you want LOCAL people seeing his info. find all his facebook and linked in contacts btw.... twitter too!

then contact that SOB lawyer and offer to sell them the site for $500 + your costs

trust me that lawyer will pay it. he's not afraid of the bar but he will be afraid of his local reputation.


this is all fine but is it paranoid to think if they represent scumbags this could come back to &^%@ you in other ways?


No kidding. Doing something like this is stupid and will bite you in the < hindquarters > at some point. Just imagine how you'll look when the attorney slips that bit of psycho that you did to your NJ's attorney.

All the NJ's attorney has to say is "I received information about a website that the husband put up, spreading defamatory information about a local lawyer with whom he wasn't pleased. If he would do this over $550...just imagine what he would say about his STBX." Again....stupid ******* idea.
User avatar
BubbaGumpShrimp
1K+ Posts
 
Posts: 1369
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:40 pm

Next

Return to Miscellany

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 4thQtrComeback and 4 guests