Durational Alimony in FLorida

Get financial advice on divorce and asset division including child support laws, legal separation advice and divorce settlements.

Durational Alimony in FLorida

Postby chi6488 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:49 am

Just curious what others have seen for durational alimony settlements.

How long of marriage and how long of duration?? Decided by judge or negotiated?
chi6488
50+ Posts

Re: Durational Alimony in FLorida

Postby BartSimpson » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:18 am

Offer her half the length of the marriage, as rehabilitative.

Do you think she could qualify for Disability with her depression?
"I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.”
― my neighbor Jack
BartSimpson
10K Club

Postby Trevor » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:21 am

Sentenced to life after an 18 year marriage with three possibilities for parole...her death, my death, her remarriage.
Dual Parenting, not Duel Parenting.
Trevor

Postby hanzblinx » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:38 pm

Not to brag but I only got 18 months sentence in Colorado after 12 year marriage. Well make that 8 months, she got married fast.

We settled out of court on the 18 months alimony, I took over 100% of marital debt (lucky me :evil: ). Still paying off her car and credit cards today. I'm sure her new husband appreciates it.
hanzblinx
100+ Posts

Postby chi6488 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:56 pm

BartSimpson wrote:Offer her half the length of the marriage, as rehabilitative.

Do you think she could qualify for Disability with her depression?

I do not think she will want to go there. I might get more custody than 50/50.
chi6488
50+ Posts

Postby chi6488 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:03 pm

hanzblinx wrote:Not to brag but I only got 18 months sentence in Colorado after 12 year marriage. Well make that 8 months, she got married fast.

We settled out of court on the 18 months alimony, I took over 100% of marital debt (lucky me :evil: ). Still paying off her car and credit cards today. I'm sure her new husband appreciates it.

How much debt if you don't mind me asking? Hell I could bite the bullet but then again I have to way out the tax issues.

Middle of the road case scenario right now is around 4k monthly based on some formula I found on the net and imputing around 45k income as well. Attorney estimating 2700 for 3 yrs as worst case based on her quick calculations. I know this is all negotiable.

Since she did agree to NO temporary alimony, I could drag this thing out and wear her down. She still lives in which will eventually be MY house worth 12k less than mortgage and she can't afford 2200 monthly mortgage. She can't move out unless she gets a job or alimony and the only way to get alimony is to get me to agree to an amount.

Hopefully she agrees to a lesser amount to be able to afford to move out of the house.
chi6488
50+ Posts

Postby hanzblinx » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:20 pm

chi6488 wrote:
How much debt if you don't mind me asking?

At the time my income was 98K (+12K side income). She was SAHM entire marriage. In reality she didn't need much money because she moved in with her parents (wealthy) and was getting $1500/month child support tax free.

Marital debt was about 50K (half of that was her car, half CCards) plus another 30K negative equity in the house which I kept.

I honestly dont think her lawyer liked her, he said as much to my lawyer. I offered $800/mo alimony for 1 year. Her lawyer advised her to take it. She refused. I offered 1.5 years and she bit.

My cousin, a lawyer, suggested I try to guilt her out of alimony because I caught her cheating. I tried that. Also, I knew she wouldn't pay a dime on her debts so I figured I'd take those and lowball alimony.

Few months later she was pregnant with BF, then married.
hanzblinx
100+ Posts

Return to Financial Advice Divorce Forum