Need to move, but worried about losing my daughter

Your divorce and child custody agreements are final, get advice on your life after divorce.

Need to move, but worried about losing my daughter

Postby josephpatrick » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:29 am

My ex and I just signed off on a divorce decree. We started in court, but did not go to trial. We agreed on joint custody with her as the primary guardian. I see my daughter every Weds. Night and every other weekend.

Currently, we live in Alabama, but I cannot make ends meet. Moreover, my ex is my indirect superior at work. The best job opportunities lie in Atlanta, which is roughly two hundred miles and three hours away (in another state).

My five year old daughter has been the joy in my life. If at all possible, I'd like to keep the weekend < parenting time > if at all possible. Do I have any chance in hell of this? Is this too hard on the child?

I have been transparent about my desire to move, but my ex refuses to discuss it (things have been tense of late, albeit much of that is my fault). I so don't want to go to court, but I have no idea to my rights.

Any thoughts or support much appreciated.
josephpatrick
New

Re: Need to move, but worried about losing my daughter

Postby BartSimpson » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:48 am

Dads here would NOT agree with your plan.

You have the absolute bare minimum time with your daughter now - an amount of time that certainly does not reflect her being the "joy of my life" in any way - and your proposed move will reduce your time to nothing.

Many guys have tried to persuade us that moving away from their kids was a solution - none are ever successful. Better opportunities for a job is no reason to abandon your child.

Your ex- wife's next man will simply become Daddy, and you will be reduced to sending Child Support to a child you never see.
"I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.”
― my neighbor Jack
BartSimpson
10K Club

Postby Fatheroffour » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:58 am

Why would you agree to such limited time?

I commuted from the state line to N atlanta for 6 years. It sucked but it was better than living in ATL.
Everyone lies.
Fatheroffour

Postby newwife » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:36 am

If your ex is your indirect superior-odds are you should find a different job.
However moving away from you child is not an option.

Get a lower paying job and go back and modify support if you have to-to a lesser amount.
Spending more time with your child is more important than what you think you might find in Atlanta.
newwife
500+ Posts

Postby josephpatrick » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:40 am

Thank you all for your comments. I'm going to think about what you saying. Now I'm just going to take some time and consider all things.
josephpatrick
New

Return to After The Divorce is Final – Moving On