Wife sent an email asking for divorce!!

Advice on divorce for men considering or starting the divorce process. Get marriage separation advice for men in this divorce forum and child custody forum.

Wife sent an email asking for divorce!!

Postby WarrenW » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:07 am

I got an email this morning saying she is through and wants to get her own place by summer. She said she was only trying for our kids. I knew we were getting a divorce eventually. She asked for one 3 times last summer. Things got better but now we are just roommates it seems. Actually I want a divorce as well so this made it easy. But the rough part is ahead by trying to get joint custody where I get them every other week rather than a weekend dad. I'm not a dead-beat dad and do many activities with the kids - scouting, Church, YMCA, etc. I know she mentioned last year of wanting to move to NY where her sister is. I'm hoping a judge would not let her go so easy. Plus, she has a decent job here and doubt she wants to go now.

Any advice?

Btw, the state is Georgia.
WarrenW
10+ Posts

Re: Wife sent an email asking for divorce!!

Postby Trevor » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:17 am

Let her go to NY tomorrow. The kids stay with you.
Dual Parenting, not Duel Parenting.
Trevor

Postby Fatheroffour » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:22 am

Read the links in my signature. It's important.

Pay particular attention to the terms Radio Silence, MP3 Recorder and Document.

She's been planing and discussing strategy with her friends for a long time. You are well behind the curve. Read, read, read.
Everyone lies.
Fatheroffour

Postby WarrenW » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:27 am

I actually went through the list a while back. So I learned a lot from it and that's one reason I'm changing my mailing address for my own bank accounts, collecting documents to put away somewhere else, etc.

Thanks!!
WarrenW
10+ Posts

Postby Fatheroffour » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:27 am

Also, Bodne v Bodne is important case law concerning move aways in Georgia. You should also familiarize yourself with it.

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/ga-supreme-c ... 28335.html
Everyone lies.
Fatheroffour

Postby Thoughts? » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:48 pm

At this point, if she's threatened before, and you've tried to keep it together, and it's not worked out, it's over.

Encourage her to go find hersefl in NY for a few weeks. Hope she falls in love with the place.

File while she's out, and you have the kids with you, and in activities & school.
The board is the sum of all of your great posts...Help divorced men be great dads! Divorce help in a father friendly divorce forum....more tips on how to deal with your divorce at DadsDivorce.com
Thoughts?

Postby WarrenW » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:41 pm

I came home today and she was already cleaning stuff out for her to tale with her. Yeah its probably over.
WarrenW
10+ Posts

Postby zakarume » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:57 pm

I am going through this also. All i can say is file and file fast. If she goes to NY and stays and you dont file and later down the line you do. Then New York will have Jurisdiction over the children and you can expect to pay alot more than Georgia. New york takes into acct the wages you make at work, social security, va disability. So all i can say is file before she does.
zakarume
50+ Posts

Postby WarrenW » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:59 am

Things calmed down the last day or so as if they are partially worked out. So I took advantage to find out what her plans were anyways. Her father is going to cosign on a mortgage for a condo where we live and she will do joint custody. So I know we are going to get divorced eventually. As soon as the next argument happens the subject will rise again!
WarrenW
10+ Posts

Postby jumbledone » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:16 am

Document document document.

Interview attorneys. There may be a lull now, but as you noted, it won't be for long. Get set for it.
What we do best here is help the guys who freeze and need to be jolted into action. - Chasbo

The meaning of life is Happiness. What makes you happy? - Dalai Lama
jumbledone
1K+ Posts

Next

Return to Before and During Divorce Forum