Having a hard time playing cool

Advice on divorce for men considering or starting the divorce process. Get marriage separation advice for men in this divorce forum and child custody forum.

Having a hard time playing cool

Postby Enough » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:29 am

Guys, how do you do it? Divorce yourself from the situation while trying to document? The house is a reck. NJ is full time stay at home mom. Kids are in school all day. I am working from home on a very stressful report and she lays on the couch for 8 hours during the day watching TV. Then she tells me when I am not home she doesn't do that. Sorry for the venting. I am having a hard time. I don't want a dv but can't live like this either. The lying is just unacceptable.
Enough
50+ Posts

Re: Having a hard time playing cool

Postby Fatheroffour » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:36 am

Is it normal for you to complain about things you cannot change? To nag someone that doesn't want to hear it? To try to get others to bend to your will?

Radio Silence is your friend.
Everyone lies.
Fatheroffour

Postby Chris A » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:37 am

I felt best when I had a well laid out plan and a vision of how I wanted my future to be. Part of your plan could be turning around NJ or part could just just be you and the kids livening alone. The plan and vision is the key though because without those you will feel miserable and unsure.
“Women can fake orgasms. But men can fake whole relationships.”
Chris A
500+ Posts

Postby jumbledone » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:45 am

My house was a wreck - for the length of the marriage, her turf was cleaning, I had other duties within and outside the house structure that evened the workload out.

Since before she filed, the house had not been cleaned. I am not a clean freak, and really am not good with cleaning clutter. But I had had it, as we were about a week away from the Hoarders crew showing up. On a weekend when STBX was out, I invited some family members who knew what was going on over to the house. I took some massive hits to pride (and still getting pinged to this day), but for a day straight they de-cluttered while I ran the stuff out to the garbage/garage, then focused on the detail cleaning. At least the clutter/crap was not mine. Her room was a mess after we offloaded all of her stuff into it. :twisted:

It is not totally clean, but it is livable now, and I can continue to cook, etc. Now that I had help with decluttering, I work on the cleaning, and make sure it doesn't get cluttered. She might help once in a while, but I never ask her to. I still do the other things inside and outside the house. She has less to do.

I also have found the time to spend more time (if that was even possible) with the kids. Pick them up from school, schedule Dr appts, stay home with them when they are sick. I don't rely on her for much, if anything. That's how I stay cool.

Don't worry about your perception of how lazy she is get to you. If it is bothering you, do something about it - and I mean the environment, not the person.
The meaning of life is Happiness. What makes you happy? - Dalai Lama

For a more peaceful life, live the serenity prayer.
jumbledone
5K+ posts

Postby Enough » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:17 pm

Thanks guys. You are correct. It appears I am trying to save a marriage and document its demise at the same time. I need to go all in on one or the other. I was going forward with planning but hoping it doesn't happen. Can't have it both ways.

Deep breath. If she is happy laying on the couch for 8 hours, more power to her. Not my concern anymore.
Enough
50+ Posts

Postby Trevor » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:52 pm

"Because times are tight, I cancelled the cable/satellite TV service. Sorry."
Dual Parenting, not Duel Parenting.
Trevor

Postby nbdad » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:07 pm

"Because times are tight, I cancelled the cable/satellite TV service. Sorry."

...and the Internet...and the long distance....oh you don't like the food I bought...Hmmmm that sucks.....

;)
nbdad
10+ Posts

Postby minuette » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:40 pm

Trevor wrote:"Because times are tight and the house was a mess, I cancelled the cable/satellite TV service and hired a cleaning service to come in weekly. Sorry."

FTFY
Trivial or impure dreaming literally rots the fabric of the future. --Lawrence Durrell
minuette
1K+ Posts

Postby lohe » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:57 pm

Wait till the kids are home and start cleaning up.

Ask her, in front of the kids, if she can please help you. Either way, do NOT start an argument about it. The kids will notice if she does not help. That should be enough for you to at least get a little satisfaction. Keep doing it every few days.

But yes, I think it's about time to cut expenses a little bit.
lohe
1K+ Posts

Postby Trevor » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:04 pm

lohe wrote:Ask her, in front of the kids, if she can please help us.

FTFY.
Dual Parenting, not Duel Parenting.
Trevor

Return to Before and During Divorce Forum