Child Support and travel expenses

Advice on divorce for men considering or starting the divorce process. Get marriage separation advice for men in this divorce forum and child custody forum.

Child Support and travel expenses

Postby MrBrightside » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:21 pm

Currently working on as much as we can to agree before taking it to mediation or court. My STBXW texted me asking me if I still felt she should pay for the kids' travel expenses to see her (she left 8 months ago to "find herself"). I said, yes. She replied she wanted to know so she can determine how much child support she will send me because of the flight cost (from Texas to Minnesota and back). I plan to talk to my lawyer tomorrow, but I wondered if you guys know if she's delirious or has a case. She also made a comment that it doesn't make sense to pay me CS while the kids are with her during the 6 weeks (she thinks she's getting 8 weeks) in the summer.
MrBrightside
100+ Posts

Re: Child Support and travel expenses

Postby BartSimpson » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:56 pm

Last question first, child support is calculated based on an annual amount due divided by 12 months. Her credit for the time the kids spend with her is included.

Travel expenses as a result of her moving are not a factor in child support.
"I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.”
― my neighbor Jack
BartSimpson
10K Club

Postby Chris A » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:19 am

Yep her support don't go away while they are with you. Be sure to have the state collect the money for you first thing because I foresee problems with your NJ.
“Women can fake orgasms. But men can fake whole relationships.”
Chris A
500+ Posts

Postby Thoughts? » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:23 am

+1 on above.
The board is the sum of all of your great posts...Help divorced men be great dads! Divorce help in a father friendly divorce forum....more tips on how to deal with your divorce at DadsDivorce.com
Thoughts?

Return to Before and During Divorce Forum