Went to commitment hearing- NEED HELP

Get financial tips on divorce and asset division including child support laws, property division, and divorce settlements.

Went to commitment hearing- NEED HELP

Postby floridaconfuseddad » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:54 pm

I live in Florida and I have been divorced about 1.5 years...I lost my job about a year so and got behind on child support and alimony. I was found in contempt in April and then my ex filed for a commitment hearing to jal me for failure to pay.

I was really worried that at the conclusion of the hearing the judge could rule me immediately placed in jail. I told him that my inability to pay was the reason I was behind and not an unwillingness to pay...I represented my self and my ex had her hired weasel with her. After about an hour the judge said I have heard enough, I'll send you my ruling in the mail....

What just happened? What can he do now...can his ruling say go to jail....I have paid about $5000 in arrearages since the contempt hearing in April...his ruling at that time was a $10000 purge payment which I couldn't do...the $5k I did pay I borrowed from my parents...

I guess my questions is has anyone else been in this situation and what are the potential outcomes?

Thank you in advance for any light any can shed on this!
floridaconfuseddad
First Post

Re: Went to commitment hearing- NEED HELP

Postby Thoughts? » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:35 pm

his ruling at that time was a $10000 purge payment which I couldn't do...the $5k I did pay I borrowed from my parents...

So the commitment hearing was held after the April contempt hearing, correct?

Sounds like your ex spend $3k on a commitment hearing and didn't get you jailed.

I know not knowing for sure is likely making your head explode, but I think if you would've been ordered jailed, the judge would've ruled it then. I am not an attorney, so these are layman's conclusions. But you are doing all you can do, which is the best anyone can expect. And you most certainly won't be able to pay more if you are jailed.

Move forward best you can, secure whatever job you can, and pay what you can. That's the best I can suggest.
The board is the sum of all of your great posts...Help divorced men be great dads! Divorce help in a father friendly divorce forum....more tips on how to deal with your divorce at DadsDivorce.com
Thoughts?

Postby defaultuser » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:42 am

I agree. From what I know, they typically don't jail people who are paying.

Also, if the judge wanted you in jail, the best time to do it would be in court so the bailiff can grab you then. If he intended to disappoint your X by not jailing you, it may be best to rule at a later date so she doesn't lash out at the judge.

Good luck.
The List
Read it.
defaultuser

Postby hanzblinx » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:56 am

floridaconfuseddad wrote:my ex filed for a commitment hearing to jail me

They look so cute and harmless at first, I know.
hanzblinx
100+ Posts

Postby demurrer » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:06 am

hanzblinx wrote:
floridaconfuseddad wrote:my ex filed for a commitment hearing to jail me

They look so cute and harmless at first, I know.

With a divorce you're already in Jail. The Judge will formailze it for you and you'll meet some new friends.
My nj/stbx cost me around USD 8,000 per fornication session.

My nj/stbx had this in mind (and still does) for me: the manipulated man by Esther Vilar

"Husband pays" quote from my stbx
demurrer
50+ Posts

Postby hanzblinx » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:18 pm

No updates, looks like the internet is down in prison. Don't feel bad, Albert Einstein was a genius and his ex took him to the cleaners too. She even was awarded his Nobel prize by the judge BEFORE he even won it because it was predicted he would win it.
hanzblinx
100+ Posts

Return to Finances & Divorce Forum