Do I just stop paying child support

Get financial tips on divorce and asset division including child support laws, property division, and divorce settlements.

Do I just stop paying child support

Postby moxioron » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:59 pm

Hello all.

My S18 called me today and he passed all of this finals and he is graduating. I was a little emotional about it because it was a tough road to get here.

Anyway, the divorce decree/parenting plan indicated that I was to pay child support until he turns 18 or graduates high school, whichever is later. Well since both of those milestones have been met, do I just stop paying? I usually pay half at the beginning and half at the end. I already paid half for June, so should I/could I just not pay the second half?

Please share your perspectives and experience. Thank you.
moxioron
100+ Posts

Re: Do I just stop paying child support

Postby Fatheroffour » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:15 pm

In my state you would have to file for a review through CSE.
Everyone lies.
Fatheroffour

Postby Trevor » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:58 pm

If you know certainly you have zero in arrearage and you have documentation (birth certificate and diploma) and your decree is clear that CS stops immediately upon attainment of both these milestones, then stop paying. But as Fo4 mentions, some states require you to continue paying until the court confirms the milestones and relieves you of the obligation. Know your state statutes on the matter.
Dual Parenting, not Duel Parenting.
Trevor

Postby hoosier_dad » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:38 pm

Your earlier posts state you have multiple children. Having multiple children covered by the same CS order prevents you from just stopping/modifying CS payments on your own unless there are very specific CS drop amounts and dates in your decree.
hoosier_dad

Postby Trevor » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:11 am

Good point hoos. Garbage in garbage out, gotta include pertinent data in your posts.
Dual Parenting, not Duel Parenting.
Trevor

Return to Finances & Divorce Forum