Not paying mortgage, car payments etc...what to do

Get financial advice on divorce and asset division including child support laws, legal separation advice and divorce settlements.

Not paying mortgage, car payments etc...what to do

Postby finallyhappyhere » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:09 pm

Right now the temp order is I don't have to pay any spousal support...however she's in the house and refuses to pay any of the mortgage or the car payment (that's in my name). She's paying the other bills.

Any ideas on how I can leverage her to do this? Mortgage is in both of our names and so is the house. The car and loan are only in my name but she's driving it...and she has the only keys. So with no ordered spousal support, she's sitting there taking advantage of me knowing I won't miss a payment and ruin my credit.

Ideas?
finallyhappyhere
10+ Posts

Re: Not paying mortgage, car payments etc...what to do

Postby anonymous guest » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:45 pm

Move back in.
anonymous guest
500+ Posts

Postby Txbizman » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:57 am

Repo man can grab the car..... If your on the title u can usually take that to the dealer and have a key cut......
Thanks to this board:

53% over nights
Kept all the assets
Txbizman
100+ Posts

Postby keko » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:42 am

Where is she keeping the keys? Just have a buddy come with you to the house, find the keys, and drive the car to a location she can't find. Come back to the house and tell her you gave the car back to your bank/loan company.
keko
10+ Posts

Postby BartSimpson » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:49 am

Tow truck, dude - it's immediate, without conflict and no keys required. Flatbed with skates and it's gone in 60 seconds. $200.

Loss of wheels can really bring the Nut-Jobbery out.

keko wrote:Where is she keeping the keys? Just have a buddy come with you to the house, find the keys, and drive the car to a location she can't find. Come back to the house and tell her you gave the car back to your bank/loan company.

If your buddy asks you to go with him to his STBX's house to steal a car, he's not your buddy. This kind of commando action gets you and your buddy thrown in jail, with very little defense for creating a high-conflict circumstance. Use a tow truck, not Seal Team Six.
"I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.”
― my neighbor Jack
BartSimpson
10K Club

Postby keko » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:11 am

BartSimpson wrote:If your buddy asks you to go with him to his STBX's house to steal a car, he's not your buddy. This kind of commando action gets you and your buddy thrown in jail, with very little defense for creating a high-conflict circumstance. Use a tow truck, not Seal Team Six.

He mentioned the its his house and his car. What would the legal procedure would be for taking his car for a drive?
keko
10+ Posts

Postby BartSimpson » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:43 am

keko wrote:He mentioned the its his house and his car. What would the legal procedure would be for taking his car for a drive?

He doesn't have the keys. He's not in the house.

And one must assume that the keys are in her possession, combined with other keys on a keyring, likely in her purse.

So by your suggestion, he should make entry into the home where she has exclusive use and possession, search for her purse, remove *only* the car key as removing any others would be theft, then go back out into the driveway, enter the car and drive away. All without any confrontation. (Side note - you know the tank is on empty, she's a NJ, he will be lucky to get to the end of the block)

My solution is to bring a Tow Truck, hook the ride, and leave - deal with the keys at a later date - no entry, no conflict, good third-party witness, gone in 60 seconds.

Which event would you rather explain to a Judge?
"I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.”
― my neighbor Jack
BartSimpson
10K Club

Postby tom kirkpatrick » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:53 am

Hey, Bro!! This is no time to let your stbx push you around. After all, this is your car!!

Take the car's VIN down to the dealership and have them make you a second set of keys. There's nothing to it. It's a piece of cake.

With keys in hand, go to the most likely place where she'll be stranded and take what's rightfully yours.

Tom
tom kirkpatrick
1K+ Posts

Postby Trevor » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:01 pm

Anyone else think that the judge would see this move as anything other than depriving the kids of a way to school/doctor/daycare? Am I losing it? [Rhet.]
Dual Parenting, not Duel Parenting.
Trevor

Postby Fatheroffour » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:30 pm

Whenever one takes a hard line stance they can count on a percentage of other to think they are being mean or cruel.

You can bet Captain Save-A-Ho in the black robe will do what he can to save the ho.
Everyone lies.
Fatheroffour

Next

Return to Financial Advice Divorce Forum