Child Support calculator for JOINT Custody in Florida

Get financial advice on divorce and asset division including child support laws, legal separation advice and divorce settlements.

Child Support calculator for JOINT Custody in Florida

Postby dapopo » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:52 am

I have looked all over the internet, found many child support calculators, but only for 'custodial and non-custodial' parties.
I plan on getting joint custody where my 2 children spend as much time with me as they do with their mother. What can I expect to pay in child support to her based on me making 60% of our current income compared to her 40%. Would I just pay her basically what it would cost to raise her income and lower mine to be equal?
dapopo
New

Postby Trevor » Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:08 pm

Here's what the judge did in my case. Mind you, if you have 50/50 neither should pay! But I got saddled with minimum guidelines...

1. He added my annual income to that of the X. Say $120k for example.
2. He pulled out a chart from Fl Statute 61.30. Check it out at this site:
http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index. ... ch0061.htm
3. He moved down the "Combined Monthly Income Available" column to the $10k (monthly) figure.
4. He read over to the second column (we have two children) and saw that the monthly CS obligation for both together is $2,228. I earn 60% of that monthly $10k, and she 40%.
5. Therefore, my obligation of that $2,228 is about $1,337 and hers is about $891 (60/40).
6. Since I pay for health/dental/vision care plans, that is deducted from my part (well, 60% of the expenses for the kids', not my coverage).

Whether you have additional deductions I do not know but your lawyer will. Judge was quite clear when he said there is no wiggle room for him in this--the law says what the obligation is and he cannot deviate from it. Again, the amount is mitigated with additional overnights **over 40%**.

So--fight hard for 182 overnights and no less than 146 because in FL (according to my lawyer) the NCP has to pay full child support when that person has the children up to 40% of overnights (146 nights). You have to pay full CS if you have them 146 overnights and mitigation of CS happens only after that.
Trevor

Postby jackie mitchell » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:31 pm

is alimony and child support based on gross or net income?
jackie mitchell
First Post

Return to Financial Advice Divorce Forum