Dad's takeover the PTO

Parental Alienation Syndrome, Malicious Mother Syndrome, dealing with the ex, and various other non-legal concerns throughout the process.

Dad's takeover the PTO

Postby Here_We_Go » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:21 pm

My son is entering Kinder and there is a PTO signup sheet. My first thought was to join. is it a waste of time or worth it? Do i join?
Here_We_Go
1K+ Posts

Re: Dad's takeover the PTO

Postby jamessick » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:26 pm

If you've got the time, it can't hurt. Looks good too, in that you're taking on responsibilities for more than just your kids.
I am a dad. It is not a simple title, nor a professional position. It is a aggressively defended FACT!
jamessick
1K+ Posts

Postby jerico08 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:03 am

I did it for two years, you'll always have a few know it all mommies try to tell you different, but it's good. If you like organizing bake sales and craft parties and holiday events with a bunch of mommies, why not. It's good exposure and keeps you in the loop with school staff too. The higher up the grades the more intense it gets. Besides, you may find a few single MILFs in the group. :)
"There is a difference between a wedding and a marriage".
jerico08
1K+ Posts

Postby Bernie19 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:02 pm

Do it!!! It's a great way to support your child, and since most PTO's love dads that are involved you can usually volunteer when you want.
I've used my PTO volunteer time to not only help the school, but also spend some extra time with the little one.
During D5's orientation I met with the PTO President and the rest is history. You probably will need to get a background check, but other then that I recomend it 100%.
I've volunteered for 3-4 events, or about 3-4 days, along with helping in her classroom another 3-4 days this school year.
Bernie19
100+ Posts

Postby Fatheroffour » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:33 pm

I'm adverse to nutjobbery and the PTO roster looks like an All-Star lineup.

No thanks.
Everyone lies.
Fatheroffour

Postby Anything4Her » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:38 pm

Bernie19 wrote:You probably will need to get a background check, but other then that I recomend it 100%.
I've never heard of PTO members being required to get a background check, have you?
Quality time cannot be scheduled. It spontaneously arises while doing the mundane. - FatherofFour
Anything4Her
1K+ Posts

Postby RC411V » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:42 pm

Parent Teacher Organization? I wonder why it is the PTAssociation here...

I like the people on our PTA. They are all really nice. I am not a member though. I just talk to the teachers and work in the kids' classes, and I know the people in the office, who are all pretty cool.

Those are the people who matter most, IMO. PTA is ancillary.
Opportunity knocks on your door every day. Answer it.

Every time you start to act like a girl, ask yourself 'What would John Wayne do?'

The List
RC411V
1K+ Posts

Postby defaultuser » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:00 pm

Yes, join. Yes, offer your services as a volunteer.

I don't recommend sitting on the board.

I was actually the president of my kid's PTA for a while. I did it because they needed someone but I didn't have the NJ gene that is the requirement for the job. I sat on the board for 3 years too. Waste of time if you ask me, except I mention it in court.

I say, if you are involved in litigation and you have the time, get as involved as you can. There are board member positions available usually, but if you don't have a really good reason for going to meetings full of NJ's pontificating about stupidity, don't bother.

There are subtle differences between PTO and PTA, but in the end its just like FOF says. Full of NJ's in my experience. I once went to a dinner that the PTA paid for just because they had to invite me and I wanted them to feel uncomfortable with my presence. The PTA dropped $600 for the meal for about 8 people and I refused to let them pay my part. Dropped $80 on the table and left when dinner was over. During the dinner, all they did was talk about sex toys. It was awful hearing 300 lb women talk about sex toys. I thought I'd be the one making them feel uncomfortable, but it was the other way around, heh... Lesson learned.
The List
Read it.
defaultuser

Postby jerico08 » Wed May 01, 2013 8:07 am

defaultuser wrote: It was awful hearing 300 lb women talk about sex toys.

Eww! :mrgreen:
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... A&dur=5286
"There is a difference between a wedding and a marriage".
jerico08
1K+ Posts

Postby KnoxDogs » Wed May 01, 2013 12:35 pm

The main difference between PTA and PTO is that PTA is nationally affiliated and PTO is not. That means that a PTA always charges dues where as a PTO has the option of charging them. A PTA is also required to maintain non-profit status and carry insurance in most states, where a PTO does not have to. There's a few other differences, but both serve the same function.

defaultuser wrote:The PTA dropped $600 for the meal for about 8 people and I refused to let them pay my part. Dropped $80 on the table and left when dinner was over. During the dinner, all they did was talk about sex toys. It was awful hearing 300 lb women talk about sex toys.

Nice to see that you were being responsible and not allowing PTA funds to be wasted, but I doubt your actions did much good. Too bad you didn't have your recorder handy.
My advice is worth what you paid for it.
KnoxDogs
1K+ Posts

Next

Return to Parenting - Child Custody Forum and Child Support Forum