Is a new wife considered part of the paternal family?

Parental Alienation Syndrome, Malicious Mother Syndrome, dealing with the ex, and various other non-legal concerns throughout the process.

Is a new wife considered part of the paternal family?

Postby newwife777 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:14 pm

Is a new wife considered part of the paternal family? The ex-wife is refusing to let me watch my new husband's son and it is making things very difficult. She has her mother spy on us and stocks my husband at work. The agreement states that paternal or maternal family must be considered first for watching the child. I need help as she does not make things easy for us. Do we have to go back to court? Are we protected under the idea that a new wife is part of the paternal family once married????????? Help! I don't want the child to have to be stuck in this drama and paranoid all the time because that is what they make him. Help would be sooooo appreciated.
newwife777
First Post

Re: Is a new wife considered part of the paternal family?

Postby defaultuser » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:25 pm

Two questions:

1. What does your husbands divorce decree say about who can watch the kids on his time?

2. Assuming she wants to watch the children when he isn't available to watch them, would you agree that the children's best interests are served by allowing her to do that?
The List
Read it.
defaultuser

Postby Trevor » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:35 pm

I am imagining a hierarchical chart...parents, grandparents, aunts/uncles, great aunts/uncles, cousins, second cousins...you may need to hire an anthropologist to clarify which relationship status outranks another.

Kidding aside, I'll add a third question about the verbiage in the ROFR clause. Is there a time frame specified? Is there also a convenience factor involved? Meaning, what if the nearest blood relative lives an hour away but is available? Does that trump the step mom? [Rhet.]
Dual Parenting, not Duel Parenting.
Trevor

Postby aero_8 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:45 am

You would be considered part of your husbands immediate family.
aero_8
100+ Posts

Postby Thoughts? » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:44 pm

+1 to aero.

The wording is a bit ambiguous.

But she would look frivolous & hyper-controlling if hubby let his wife -- child's step mom who is a part of the family -- watch children and she sued over it.

On the stalking hubby at work, what evidence do you have? I think the more you can legitimately accumulate there the more she could wind up annoying the court.

I think my best advice for you & hubby is just go about life, draw a line in the sand on this issue, and force her to prove to a court why you're not family.

Now, if hubby is travelling to the opposite side of the globe for an extended time and bio mom wants to take child to her families family reunion and ya'll throw up a wall of objections, that would seem pretty petty too. Bottom line is reasonable ness, so just go about life, if you watch the kids for a few hours here & there no big deal, do what's right by the kids, and force her to either shutup or be so stupid as to present this issue to a judge & get slapped down.
The board is the sum of all of your great posts...Help divorced men be great dads! Divorce help in a father friendly divorce forum....more tips on how to deal with your divorce at DadsDivorce.com
Thoughts?

Return to Parenting - Child Custody Forum and Child Support Forum