New Wife Resents My Daughter

Parental Alienation Syndrome, Malicious Mother Syndrome, dealing with the ex, and various other non-legal concerns throughout the process.

Re: New Wife Resents My Daughter

Postby Trevor » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:06 pm

defaultuser wrote:...she can either STFU or GTFO.

Love.it.
Dual Parenting, not Duel Parenting.
Trevor

Postby BJABBAR » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:37 am

Thanks everyone for responded. This "dark side" did not come out till after we got married and we consolidated residences and my daughter would stay with us during my visitations. This has been a Jeckyll and Hyde thing too where at times she is supported but at others she is not. The biggest items for contention are that my daughter should be working more and also on the topic of college funding. I have probably been in denial about this whole thing thinking it was going to get better so as suggested, I will try laying down the law and and trying to open up her heart on this and if that does not happen, I as you all suggest will have to say goodbye. When not dealing with Wife-Daughter issue, she is really quite generous, fun to be with and even nurturing. Heck, maybe she is just unstable...who knows! Thanks again to all.
BJABBAR
New

Postby Trevor » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:00 am

Lots of red flags here, bro. Large ones. The "Jeckyll and Hyde thing" doesn't go away and let me clue you in, it does indicate instability...no "maybe" about it.

The fact that your daughter does or does not work is none of her business...except that she clearly sees this as a zero-sum game between your daughter and her interests...this red flag doesn't go away either. College funding is the same thing.

And that she is nice when dealing with everything else except the "Wife-Daughter issue" is kinda like saying well, Ted Bundy was a personable fellow when he wasn't out killing pretty girls.
Dual Parenting, not Duel Parenting.
Trevor

Postby BartSimpson » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:28 am

BJABBAR wrote: The biggest items for contention are that my daughter should be working more and also on the topic of college funding.

The biggest item in contention is your money. Wifey wants more of it.
"I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.”
― my neighbor Jack
BartSimpson
10K Club

Postby KeepingMyKids » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:10 pm

Tough spot...or not. It comes down to your wife or your little girl. And no matter what, she's always going to be your little girl. Don't let someone else come between you and her.
"Your problem is you shook a wh0re tree and expected an angel to drop out."
KeepingMyKids
500+ Posts

Postby massdaddio » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:32 am

How do you and your wife handle finances? My suggestion would be that you both contribute the same amount to the household expenses, then you do whatevery you want with the rest of your money. My GF and I handle it that way and it's really worked out well. We make joint decisions on how the household money is spent (buy new appliance, paint the house, remodel kitchen), but the rest of our money we spend as we want. Most of mine goes to child support, college for my kids, vacation with my kids. She spends some of hers on her family (parents, nieces/nephews), but she saves a lot. She says she needs to be able to take care of herself in retirement since she doesn't have kids to help.

As long as your wife is not being asked to pay for child support or your daughter's college, then she really has no say in how you spend your money. That said, I would hope your daughter would be working during the summer to earn spending money while she's at school. I understand during the school year she's focused on school and other activities, but during the summer she can easily work 30-40 hours.
massdaddio
500+ Posts

Postby wcd9973 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:46 pm

I'm gonna have a different approach.

Your wife being resentful of your daughter is not all that unusual. And it doesnt even mean that you should leave her over it.
It DOES mean you need to discuss how she deals with it. I'm also guessing she doesn't have any kids of her own. So her resentment is that you have a relationship with someone else that cuts time away from her, and one she doesn't have.

But she needs to see that, and accept it, and figure out how to deal.
For example - You spend time alone with your daughter. You need to say to you wife "I make sure that I spend time with you as well. But I love spending time with my daughter and we need some daddy / daughter time. I know its hard on you, and when it happens and you want to talk, I promise you that you can talk to me about it all and I wont past judgement. I'll support you if you want to see help on how to deal with it. HOWEVER - I WILL be spending time with her..so you need to figure out how to deal with that and not focus on if I should be doing it".

Now -If she refuses to work with you on this, if she simply is waiting for you to take her side....then you have even bigger issues.
wcd9973
100+ Posts

Postby Fatheroffour » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:52 pm

"Shut up and get me a beer".
Everyone lies.
Fatheroffour

Postby MMF » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:00 pm

Fatheroffour wrote:"Shut up and get me a beer".

If she was being a good wife her mouth would already be full so there would be no need for the "shut up" and there would already be a beer resting on her head.
Giving NJ the rope she needs to hang herself since 2009
MMF
1K+ Posts

Postby ZUMBO » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:02 pm

Fatheroffour wrote:"Shut up and get me a beer".

FOF your my idol............
Your very existence upsets her. Like most NJs she basically wants her life exactly as it is, minus you, plus your money. -novadad
ZUMBO
100+ Posts

Previous Next

Return to Parenting - Child Custody Forum and Child Support Forum