Need advice, child support, college, Illinois

Parental Alienation Syndrome, Malicious Mother Syndrome, dealing with the ex, and various other non-legal concerns throughout the process.

Need advice, child support, college, Illinois

Postby apollumi » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:19 am

Originally my case was in another state which did not require paying college. Her child support checks were to be done at age 18. Then, right before she turned 18 my ex had the case moved to Ill and I was in a situation where I could not afford a lawyer and did not know the laws. Only later did I find out it was to keep the money flowing.

What outs do I have? Any? I have been paying her college for about two years already but I'm at wits end.

personal rant: My father made me work 40 hours a week since I was 13, took everything I made. I'm in my mid 40's and I still have people taking "their fair share" of my labor. Tired of being people's personal welfare system and slave.
apollumi
New

Re: Need advice, child support, college, Illinois

Postby Trevor » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:27 am

Do you see the child? How is she doing in college?
Dual Parenting, not Duel Parenting.
Trevor

Postby epsilon » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:55 am

Here is a post by hoosier_dad that you might be able to look into:

http://law.justia.com/cases/new-york/court-of-appeals/2008/2008-01256.html

Was searching for some case law and saw this one on interstate child support. This is another example that just gets me boiling. Dad's child support and alimony both end by end of 12/2004, so Mom files a brand new support order in another state. Not only was it obvious that NY didn't have jurisdiction, when Dad tries to fight it he's not only denied but hit with $5,080 of Mom's attorney fees. When he objects to the attorney fees they up it to $9,597. Takes him almost 3 years to get it corrected in appeals court and returned to Family Court to determine his cost award. 3 years and thousands wasted.

epsilon
500+ Posts

Postby apollumi » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:36 am

Trevor wrote:Do you see the child? How is she doing in college?

No, I don't see the child. I think she is either doing ok or perhaps well. I haven't checked her grades in a while. I know I have access to this if needed though.
apollumi
New

Postby apollumi » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:46 am

epsilon wrote:Here is a post by hoosier_dad that you might be able to look into:

http://law.justia.com/cases/new-york/court-of-appeals/2008/2008-01256.html

Was searching for some case law and saw this one on interstate child support. This is another example that just gets me boiling. Dad's child support and alimony both end by end of 12/2004, so Mom files a brand new support order in another state. Not only was it obvious that NY didn't have jurisdiction, when Dad tries to fight it he's not only denied but hit with $5,080 of Mom's attorney fees. When he objects to the attorney fees they up it to $9,597. Takes him almost 3 years to get it corrected in appeals court and returned to Family Court to determine his cost award. 3 years and thousands wasted.

I've already been in similar scenarios. Back years ago she had moved to Illinois and little did I know but she got on welfare. Illinois decided on their own to start racking up what they thought I owed "without ever looking to see if the child support case was in another state". So, one day I get threatening letters (going to empty my checking account, charge up my credit cards, generally make my life suck). It took 6 months to break them free of me and the assistance of the district attorney.

What made it worse is that after much pain and suffering I thought it was squared away. Little did I know they had just zeroed the balance and it had started racking back up again. Guess what surprise I got a couple years later.

Government is a racket, Insurance is a racket, but I've never seen so intellectually violent a racket as child support.
apollumi
New

Return to Parenting - Child Custody Forum and Child Support Forum