Sex Education

Humor, philosophical, theoretical postions, judicial reform, rants, etc.

Re: Sex Education

Postby coparentchamp » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:08 pm

So I admitted I'd like some help because I'm a little uncomfortable doing it on my own. Geez, guys.

I'm with you KMK...my ex passed the reins to me when our daughter hit "that age"...he'll talk to her if she asks questions...but the "meat and potatoes" of the convo - it fell to me...and when our son started searching "questionable" websites...I called in dad for that convo. I haven't a clue what's going on in his little pre-pubecent head when it comes to females...just as dad is playing the same guessing game with the girls horomone/drama filled brain.
Nothing wrong with calling for reinforcements....
Raised by a wonderful single dad.
Current Mom of 2.
Happily co-parenting since 2002.
coparentchamp
100+ Posts

Postby KeepingMyKids » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:18 pm

Also want a female that can give "practical" advice. Instructions tell you to slip on a jock strap one leg at a time and pull up; experience tells you to give a clearing tug to the sides so you don't yank the boys bald.
"Your problem is you shook a wh0re tree and expected an angel to drop out."
KeepingMyKids
500+ Posts

Postby Thoughts? » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:51 pm

Pffft. Love this chain.

I'm blessed. My daughter's spent a lot of time around animals and is into horse back riding, so there's never been a mystery on the "parts" aspect of it.

When we've had a chance to visit about philosphy, I've told her that I try to live in a manner that I would be comfortable with her living. In other words, after I dated my now wife for about two years, we did live together, then got engaged. Then got married. I used myself as an example -- and told her that the key was to have a mutually supportive & respectful relationship.

On the application of certain "products", I have certainly been able to cope with buying the right type of products. As far as the finer points, it has been convenient to have my wife along when my daughter went into the dressing room to try on bras, and when she had her early periods. But frankly, as a loving caring dad I would do what I had to do, with appropriate discretion & sensitivity.
The board is the sum of all of your great posts...Help divorced men be great dads! Divorce help in a father friendly divorce forum....more tips on how to deal with your divorce at DadsDivorce.com
Thoughts?

Postby KeepingMyKids » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:00 pm

Thoughts? wrote:Pffft. Love this chain.

I'm blessed. My daughter's spent a lot of time around animals and is into horse back riding, so there's never been a mystery on the "parts" aspect of it.

When we've had a chance to visit about philosphy, I've told her that I try to live in a manner that I would be comfortable with her living. In other words, after I dated my now wife for about two years, we did live together, then got engaged. Then got married. I used myself as an example -- and told her that the key was to have a mutually supportive & respectful relationship.

On the application of certain "products", I have certainly been able to cope with buying the right type of products. As far as the finer points, it has been convenient to have my wife along when my daughter went into the dressing room to try on bras, and when she had her early periods. But frankly, as a loving caring dad I would do what I had to do, with appropriate discretion & sensitivity.

Kudos all around.

If I was still the single dad with two kids all of us eating spaghetti over the sink, I'd work it out somehow. But since I have a wife now who actually offers her help when I need it while always asking and making sure she's not "overstepping any boundaries", I'll gladly take the help.
KeepingMyKids
500+ Posts

Postby defaultuser » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:52 pm

I've talked about what will happen with my kids bodies, and why.

Something interesting happened the other day, and I don't know if its relevant, but this is my thread so I can hijack it if I want I guess.

My kids had several friends over and they were all sitting around the table playing games. One kid was talking about her mom or something, and I said, "Who has a totally awesome mom?" All of them said, "I do, I do" Then, my D10 said something interesting. She said, "I have an awesome mom, but when I think about how awesome my mom is, I think about my teacher, Mrs. XX. She was a totally awesome mom to me, and I think of her as a mother." NJ didn't get mentioned.

Anyway, I know this teacher spent some time talking to my kid and other girls about how to take care of her period and what to expect and all that. I had already done that, and gotten some products and showed my kid how to use them, but I couldn't offer personal experience. My point is that I her teacher did that for her. I think my kid is lucky to have good people around to take the place of the good mother that she just doesn't have. It really doesn't matter who does that. In this case, the teacher knew the situation and stepped up. I was thankful and told her so.

I think the real sex education is really relationship education. How to avoid people that will use you. Young women are especially vulnerable.
The List
Read it.
defaultuser

Postby KeepingMyKids » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:52 pm

defaultuser wrote:I think the real sex education is really relationship education. How to avoid people that will use you. Young women are especially vulnerable.

That's a huge worry for me. Between all these shows like Sweet 16, the Kardashians, etc., little girls these days are growing up with a HUGE sense of entitlement. Having a NJ egg donor who has always placed a huge importance on money.....I don't want her to grow up learning that it's acceptable to be "compliant" to a guy because he has a nice car and lots of disposable income. Or on the other side of the spectrum a guy who is a total deadbeat and content to live off her good graces.
KeepingMyKids
500+ Posts

Previous

Return to Miscellany