Technical suggestion

Humor, philosophical, theoretical postions, judicial reform, rants, etc.

Technical suggestion

Postby Pete » Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:22 pm

Michael/Admin:

Would it be possible to make the following enhancements:

1. The "View posts since your last visit" hyperling---could this link be larger text to be more visible

AND:

2. Can the above link be made available from the all forums, instead of just the index? Most visitors want to see and/or respond to only the newest posts, and this way it would more fluid. As it is, you can see the most recent new posts, but once you go to the forum, you have to return to the index, and the re-click the link. The extra step proves a nuisance, and may discourage more frequent < parenting time > of the board.

Thanks.
Pete

Done

Postby admin » Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:18 pm

Done
admin
Site Admin

Postby Pete » Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:59 pm

Looks good---thanks.

Is it possible to show this link on the drill down into the threads as well? Just a thought....some may read the post, not need to reply and want to return to the list of newest posts. Just another functionality enhancement if possible.

The feedback so far is good, but there is a fear the board will become tedious to navigate to find the newest posts....FYI
Don't worry about what you cannot control. Focus on what is legally relevant, not morally indignant or petty.
Pete

possible

Postby admin » Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:46 pm

I could add it, but it would be faster to click "back" then to reload the "newest/recent posts" page. Think it over, and let me know.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Pete » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:30 pm

Thanks Michael-

Agreed that the back button will be faster than re-load, but the option being there may make navigation "easier" to the user. Some people would be satisfied with the convenience over the speed issue, and the choice of using the back button would still be there.

I will leave at your discretion.

Also, when typing text, if you choose to use the Tags for font changing, it shifts the post and moves the cursor to a new location....this is annoying as <you know>, if something can be done to the code or buttons to not make this happen.
Pete

Postby No·MAD » Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:24 am

and toast! Definitely want it to make toast!

I think hitting the back button is the better option for a variety of reasons.
It does not require a reload thus it is faster and also doesn't add overhead to the server (even though miniscule), it is easier than scrolling up on a lengthy post to get to the link on the top of the page, and it's already there so no extra work is involved and no addtional complexity is added to the program.
No·MAD
100+ Posts

Postby Pete » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:55 am

Agree with No Mad...it SHOULD make toast.... but with we should have poll as to white or wheat.

If including the liink on the drill down into the threads is inpractical, perhaps it could be included in the "jump to forum" drop down box. The less web savvy the user is the more likely they will not know the back button is faster. My point is only to make it as navigation friendly as possible without encumbering the program itself to heavily. If the back button is only way, that is no problem for me.

As far as the other issue, it does not occur in everycircumstance, so I am not sure what could be done....unless you have already fixed that.

Thanks Michael.[/u]
Don't worry about what you cannot control. Focus on what is legally relevant, not morally indignant or petty.
Pete

Return to Miscellany