Medical vs Dental Expenses

Your divorce and child custody agreements are final, get advice on your life after divorce.

Medical vs Dental Expenses

Postby Tyrell » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:46 pm

Quick question,
My decree states that "uncovered medical expenses" will be split 85-15 (me-her)
My D needs braces, the decree does not address dental specifically, just "uncovered medical expenses".

Does anyone have experience with this, would dental expenses fall under the uncovered medical expenses.

Either way I'm going to send her the bill, and either way I don't expect to get anything out of it. Even for braces, her 15% will be less than $1K, so it's not even worth going back to court over (would spend more in Lawyers).

I'd just like to know where I stand on this.
Thanks
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away"
Philip K Dick
Tyrell
500+ Posts

Re: Medical vs Dental Expenses

Postby Fatheroffour » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:48 pm

Don't you have to be a doctor to put braces on someone?

Sounds like a medical expense.
Everyone lies.
Fatheroffour

Postby Thoughts? » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:03 pm

If the braces are really needed -- which they likely are if she has any type of over bite or crooked teeth -- this would likely be a medical expense. However, it is a large one, and since timing isn't life or health threatening, the courts would generally want to see you two work together on finding a good provider & starting them at a time that is reasonable for both. I.E., insurance deductible & Section 529 plan timing.

Put another way, she should see a couple of providers and get multiple quotes, and you should be comfortable that you're not getting a screw job. In my case, I took over the process, took her to three potential providers, and found one that was just as good as the others but was slightly more affordable. The costs ranged from $5k to $7.2k in my area.
The board is the sum of all of your great posts...Help divorced men be great dads! Divorce help in a father friendly divorce forum....more tips on how to deal with your divorce at DadsDivorce.com
Thoughts?

Postby Tyrell » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:12 pm

I am driving the boat in this process, my D live with me full time, mom really isnt involved and lives 2K miles away. The decree states I only have to discuss major medical decisions with her, but we do not have to reach concensus and I have final say, regardless of what mom thinks or wants.

The ortho came highly recommended and the price is on the low end of what you listed, so I don't think I'm getting screwed, but I am going to get a second opinion.

Thanks
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away"
Philip K Dick
Tyrell
500+ Posts

Postby Thoughts? » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:11 pm

Ah, got it. I'd at least make an overture to her of telling her this is above & beyond usual and ordinary medical expenses, would like her input, and would like her participation 50%. Give her a report of the options you've looked at. Offer to structure the timing to fit her schedule & financial pressures -- i.e., tell her you won't start until Jan 2013, or you'll start early if it helps with deductibles or unused Section 529 / reimbursement accounts.

Bottom line, is don't assume this won't be brought up some day. This issue isn't worth court costs & lawyer fees. But you have years more to go with your ex, you want three or four things to have to seek "clarification" on should you go back. If your ex genuinely triggers something worth a hearing, this and the other issues you've accumulated are included in the motion, for at least negotiating purposes.
The board is the sum of all of your great posts...Help divorced men be great dads! Divorce help in a father friendly divorce forum....more tips on how to deal with your divorce at DadsDivorce.com
Thoughts?

Postby hanzblinx » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:44 am

I posted on this topic yesterday. I'm paying 78% but I'm quite sure my ex will be stuck with 22%. The reason is she sends the bill, then I send 78%. That's according to our official agreement.

So if she doesn't pay, she will owe the Dr. not me. She is the one dealing with it.
hanzblinx
100+ Posts

Postby newwife » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:39 pm

It is uncovered medical.
But I would agree and say to make sure and inform her now and ask what she has to say on it.

And you are right-you probably won't see a dime of it and it's not worth going to court for now-but it may be added to other unreimbursed costs anyway.
newwife
500+ Posts

Return to After The Divorce is Final – Moving On