Pick-up & Drop-off

Your divorce and child custody agreements are final, get advice on your life after divorce.

Pick-up & Drop-off

Postby DailySports » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:15 pm

My fiance has had some mini wars with his ex-wife over schedules lately. He has had a lot of things come up b/c of his injury (he's a fireman) and had to cancel on her. She had to cancel her own plans b/c of this.

I was thinking, I can easily fill in for him with the children (ages 3 & 7) but she always tells me that it is a generous offer but she's okay.

Since next year, he and I will be married, would include me as an adult that can pick them up and drop them off for < parenting time >? The agreement doesn't specify only the parents, it just specifies the exchange location and the times of < parenting time >. We've never actually had me pick the kids up b/c we're afraid of a nuclear war.

Thanks for any and all advice.
DailySports
50+ Posts

Postby nuke » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:41 pm

I see no reason why you can't pick them up now.
nuke

Location: battled in GA and IA - CP of my son_15, NCP of my daughter_12

Postby DailySports » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:16 pm

What argument would we have to allow for me to pick the kids up? His attorney said it would make him look bad if I was picking the kids up and spending time with them during < parenting time >.
DailySports
50+ Posts

Postby Trevor » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:54 pm

That sounds kind of stupid, you *are* his fiance. Why shouldn't you spend time with the kids? I suppose I understand the atty's point, if your fiance is missing the parenting time altogether.
Trevor

Postby DailySports » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:06 am

I know it sounds stupid but I haven't seen any actual legal argument for me to be allowed to pick them up. I have researched this a lot and you guys are the first ones to agree to the idea. If there is an argument, legally, other than I am his fiancee, I'd like to know. She will just say he is pawning his children off on others just like he did during the marriage, which is why she refuses to allow him overnight stays, she says he'll just have others take care of the girls, which is ludicrous. That argument of hers just makes him totally paranoid during < parenting time > that he is a bad dad. He's not, my parents admire him a lot because of how hard he works to be a good father and my parents usually don't have a nice thing to say about anyone.

I know this is stupid but he and I are dealing with a woman who has held a grudge for something he did that we haven't figured out exactly what it is (and he divorced her) for four years now. She hates him and wants him to be miserable.

If I am going to show up at her house one day to pick her children up, I just was wondering if there is a better excuse than "I am his fiance and their future step-mother, it should be allowed." I don't have a legal right to the kids whatsoever.

Thanks for the help and the piece of mind. I do appreciate it.
DailySports
50+ Posts

Postby nuke » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:21 am

The argument is that he is their parent, and if he needs to designate another responsible adult to provide transportation for him, then he is entitled to do so. Now if you are talking about picking them up and he isn't going to see them, that is different.
nuke

Location: battled in GA and IA - CP of my son_15, NCP of my daughter_12

Return to After The Divorce is Final – Moving On