input on my lawyer asking for wifes facebook info?

Advice on divorce for men considering or starting the divorce process. Get marriage separation advice for men in this divorce forum and child custody forum.

input on my lawyer asking for wifes facebook info?

Postby I want the kids » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:59 pm

I don't do facebook so I'm not sure it is worth trying to capture info from or not. My lawyer is on the fence but said he probably will ask after the deposition.

What do you guys think?
I want the kids
100+ Posts

Re: input on my lawyer asking for wifes facebook info?

Postby jamessick » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:08 pm

Social networking can be a source of info for divorce lawyers. Cordell & Cordell have that on one of their ads in my area, how Facebook is usually the first stop.
I am a dad. It is not a simple title, nor a professional position. It is a aggressively defended FACT!
jamessick
1K+ Posts

Postby Fatheroffour » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:09 pm

Many seem to think its a gold mine of useful data but there seem to be few tales of facebook postings being of any consequence.

Its data. What use it is depends on what's posted and how its used.
Everyone lies.
Fatheroffour

Postby a dad » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:53 pm

Yeah, I think it's just info - may be helpful, may be torturous. But if your trying to paint the picture of your NJ, it may end up being a primary color that can lead you in different directions.

Someone may have gotten their friend (who was one of STBX's 500+ facebook friends) to pull up STBX's page (and click "older posts" until your all the way down), then right-click and "save page as...". You'll get a bunch of files that need to stay together but you'll then have a copy of her page on that date (copy files to thumb drive and look through and/or bring to lawyer). May not be legally admissible, but you'll at least see if you need to go further in this direction.

If you're lawyer will do it, and you have the $, then at least you'll have a filter when dealing with the torturous stuff.
a dad
1K+ Posts

Postby BubbaGumpShrimp » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:21 pm

Some people are VERY stupid about what they put on Facebook. You never know what she might have on there. If she's been dating...she might have comments on her wall or even added "in a relationship" on her page. Yeah...I've actually heard of people doing that before the divorce is final.

The ex-husband of one of my co-workers did that. He ended up marrying the woman that he cheated on his wife with. He was even stupid enough to put on his profile when their anniversary was. Guess what...it happened to be when he was still married to his first wife. :lol:

I don't know what she was able to accomplish with the information though.
BubbaGumpShrimp
1K+ Posts

Postby I want the kids » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:29 am

Thanks guys.

Probably will have my lawyer look into it just incase it helps. Can't really hurt I guess.

And as for the torture angle. My pain can't get much worse. I'm over it really.
I want the kids
100+ Posts

Postby cdavis » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:41 am

I want the kids wrote:Thanks guys.

Probably will have my lawyer look into it just incase it helps. Can't really hurt I guess.

And as for the torture angle. My pain can't get much worse. I'm over it really.

You should be doing the work yourself at first at least, checking their page or seeing was is posted on all her friends accounts. In LE we have a tool from facebook that checks friends pages so we can try to get evidence through public posts of a suspects friends. I've looked at the CD's we get back from facebook on our criminal subpoenas and its not much good because they are not good at storing deleted messages or pics.
cdavis
50+ Posts

Postby BartSimpson » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:49 am

Make sure you check all the public restroom walls for Graffiti she might have left, too.

It is such a useless waste of energy to chase utterances on Facebook.
"I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.”
― my neighbor Jack
BartSimpson
10K Club

Postby Fatheroffour » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:24 am

Sad to know law inforcement has gotten so pathetic as to be looking at friends pages for 'evidence'. What a waste of public resources.
Everyone lies.
Fatheroffour

Postby BubbaGumpShrimp » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:25 pm

Fatheroffour wrote:Sad to know law inforcement has gotten so pathetic as to be looking at friends pages for 'evidence'. What a waste of public resources.

Nope. People are ******* stupid. The things that they'll post online under their own name (i.e. Facebook) might surprise you.

I lived down the road from where this happened. The only reason that this woman was caught and prosecuted is that she posted a picture of the item that she stole on Facebook.

Laugh...but this is in the bible belt. You don't steal a baby Jesus from a Nativity display and think that people are going to just laugh it off.

http://blogs.fredericksburg.com/citypolice/2011/12/16/fredericksburg-police-recover-stolen-baby-jesus/

Police said in a statement: "A citizen provided them with vital information, which led to the identification of the primary suspect in the case. The female suspect from Spotsylvania County, had uploaded a picture of the stolen Christ child on her Facebook page, and the concerned citizen printed the image and the related comments before the Facebook post was removed. The citizen immediately turned over this evidence to the Fredericksburg Police Department. The subsequent investigation led to a home in Spotsylvania County, where the Baby Jesus was found."

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/3 ... z228DwDRwc
BubbaGumpShrimp
1K+ Posts

Next

Return to Before and During Divorce Forum