Any tips on superdad journal that helped you out in court?

Advice on divorce for men considering or starting the divorce process. Get marriage separation advice for men in this divorce forum and child custody forum.

Any tips on superdad journal that helped you out in court?

Postby stretchkr » Thu May 03, 2012 1:46 pm

Keeping mine pretty basic. Outlining what I did for the kids on any given day, and documenting if the stbx left, and for how long. I don't know I will have to go to court, but I wan't to prepare beforehand.

Here are two sample lines:

4/15/12:
Hosted a birthday party for D6 at my parents house. Did all of the planning myself, and all of the cooking and cleaning afterward. Then brought the kids home, played, helped with homework, and put them to bed.

4/24/12:
Made breakfast for the kids, and got my daughter ready for school. Called pre-school and signed S3 up for next fall. Came home after work, made supper, took the kids for a walk and played outside, then put them to bed.
STBX left as soon as i got home from work at 5:30pm, and did not return until 2 am the next morning.
stretchkr
100+ Posts

Re: Any tips on superdad journal that helped you out in cou

Postby hoosier_dad » Thu May 03, 2012 2:15 pm

IMO put as much detail as possible, especially around times. A good example is tracking when your ex left and returned, that entry is good. Also track when you leave the house, go to work, come home, kids are at school or in others care etc. You can always summarize it at a higher level later.

stretchkr wrote:Did all of the planning myself, and all of the cooking and cleaning afterward.

Personally this sounds like this is a feat for you, something out of the ordinary that you deserve credit for doing the first time. Keep it objective and factual, you hosted a birthday party for D6 at parents house from 2pm - 4pm, 4pm - 5pm you cleaned up after the party while kids did xyz. Don't give the judge the impression that you are taking on tasks just to journal and look good.

One big goal with a journal entry is that it clearly shows who was parenting your children, you or your ex or others such as at school or with a relative. And what activities you were doing with the children during your time. When you split and live apart it is easy to tell who was parenting the children because they'll be at one house or the other. When you're still living in one house you need a lot of detail to make that clear. Ideally as you summarize that detail into evidence you can show a picture of the parenting time status quo.
hoosier_dad

Re: Any tips on superdad journal that helped you out in cou

Postby stretchkr » Thu May 03, 2012 2:52 pm

I tought it might. i re-worded it, and included times in much greater detail throughout the journal. I also included during the day, when she has not been caring for the kids and they were somewhere else. At least the times I know about :?
stretchkr
100+ Posts

Return to Before and During Divorce Forum