Signed!

Advice on divorce for men considering or starting the divorce process. Get marriage separation advice for men in this divorce forum and child custody forum.

Signed!

Postby SadDad » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:27 pm

Well....after 18 months I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

We just met and she signed all the documents: Decree, Parenting Plan, Support Order and final Financial Affidavit.

Will all arrive at my lawyers tomorrow and be filed with teh court before Monday. Then teh docs go before the judge and hopefully a signed divorce in less than 45 days.

Not really sure how to feel. A bit wasted.

Could have never made it here without all of your support. I went from a scared, sniveling, emotional, ball-less enabler to a "List" wielding advocate for my children. Thanks will never be enough.
He didn't tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it. ~Clarence Budington Kelland
SadDad
100+ Posts

Re: Signed!

Postby RC411V » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:29 pm

Congrats. Happy with the outcome?
Opportunity knocks on your door every day. Answer it.

Every time you start to act like a girl, ask yourself 'What would John Wayne do?'

The List
RC411V
1K+ Posts

Postby Fatheroffour » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:32 pm

Congratulations, Saddad.
Everyone lies.
Fatheroffour

Postby SadDad » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:14 pm

Thanks Guys!

Happy?

Not sure. I dont think I could ever me happy not seeing my kids everyday for the rest of my life. Im happy they are safe and healthy and emotional strong, happy I am primary and see them the majority of time, happy their mom is sober, happy that as an involved Dad I will forever be a driving positive force in their lives. But knowing there will be nights they wake up crying, or are sick throwing up and ill never be there when they call out for me will break my heart for a long, long time.

I guess Im more relieved this mess is over (although the financial mess will be around for years to come) BUT, from a personal standpoint knowing that I can rebuild and start new is the biggest victory.

I told my Dad last night that this almost 5 year process felt like I was up in a plane all alone. Forever circling in a holding pattern while the world went on without me. Now I can hear the landing gear open up as I approach the runway....
He didn't tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it. ~Clarence Budington Kelland
SadDad
100+ Posts

Postby Trevor » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:36 pm

Congrats, SadDad.

Where'd you get the idea that even happily married parents get to see their kids every day for the rest of their lives? Did you somehow skip high school as a kid? [Rhet.]

The kid'll be fine when they wake up unwell and either parent is there for them. Of course you'd rather it would be you, but you need to be realistic about the fact that kids need time with both parents and that they'd be with mom some of the time.

Stop using hyperbole with yourself and keep being a great Dad. I ended up with EOW but I see my now-adult kids all the time and they cherish the time together, as do I. Don't beat yourself up, the divorce is final!
Dual Parenting, not Duel Parenting.
Trevor

Postby SadDad » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Thank Trevor! You are absolutely right. Even though its a big "victory" just a little post signing blues I guess. That too shall pass. Ive been through 1000x worse to be sure.

They are s12,s10 and d8 caplock.
SadDad
100+ Posts

Postby jamessick » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:52 pm

Name change in order. Rad-Dad maybe?

Well done sir. Bring the ship into harbor and park it. Its been a long voyage. Restock supplies and get ready for the next one. Wiser, armed and FREAKIN dangerous.
I am a dad. It is not a simple title, nor a professional position. It is a aggressively defended FACT!
jamessick
1K+ Posts

Postby KeepingMyKids » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:01 pm

Many congrats to you!
"Your problem is you shook a wh0re tree and expected an angel to drop out."
KeepingMyKids
500+ Posts

Postby RC411V » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:09 pm

I don't know if my perspective is completely analogous, or if anybody else would agree with me, but I kinda feel like I had to let my kids grow up sooner than some parents. I'm their dad wherever we are, and they can contact me any time, but I'm not in close proximity quite as much as some parents (although I am in proximity a lot more than some parents who aren't divorced). But it's sort of like when your kid goes to college maybe, or starts fulltime school, or maybe when they move away for whatever. It just happened a little earlier than I figured it would. But our relationship is still real and makes me happy, and I feel like they are happy too.
Opportunity knocks on your door every day. Answer it.

Every time you start to act like a girl, ask yourself 'What would John Wayne do?'

The List
RC411V
1K+ Posts

Postby TransAm » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:13 pm

Good job, SD. Good job.
"Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured but not everyone must prove they are a citizen".
TransAm
500+ Posts

Next

Return to Before and During Divorce Forum