Status Hearing

Advice on divorce for men considering or starting the divorce process. Get marriage separation advice for men in this divorce forum and child custody forum.

Status Hearing

Postby Vega » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:36 pm

I have a status hearing scheduled for mid March
Never heard of this. What's this all about?
Vega
100+ Posts

Re: Status Hearing

Postby Fatheroffour » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:41 pm

It's a meeting to see how things are going. What needs to be addressed. Who's doing their part. Who isn't. What needs to be scheduled next.

It's what it sounds like.
Everyone lies.
Fatheroffour

Postby Vega » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:33 pm

Fatheroffour wrote:It's a meeting to see how things are going. What needs to be addressed. Who's doing their part. Who isn't. What needs to be scheduled next.

It's what it sounds like.

My attorney just informed me that was very unusual and she had no clue why we are having a status hearing. Could this be due to something that would speed up the case? Such as the DV charges? Any speculation out there?
Vega
100+ Posts

Postby secondhalf » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:13 pm

My attorney just informed me that was very unusual

To me your attorney informing you that this is unusual is unusual in itself. During my divorce process there were three separate status meetings in front of the judge. Divorce never went to trial. But maybe that is just my divorce.
secondhalf
1K+ Posts

Postby Fatheroffour » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:17 pm

In my case the 'status conferences' were not as formal. My attorney emailed the GAL and copied OC. OC emailed my attorney and copied the GAL. Letters were sent and papers were filed and the machine chugged along while everybody did their job and collected their paychecks. My speculation is that status conferences are usually scheduled when one party or the other isn't responding to request or being obstructionist or uncooperative. Or it's some sort of strategy. Since everyone is free to communicate among themselves a status conference it used so one side or the other can get in front of the judge and point at the other one's misdeeds and "MAKE THE JUDGE MAD".

That's my swag at it.
Everyone lies.
Fatheroffour

Postby Vega » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:29 pm

Fatheroffour wrote:In my case the 'status conferences' were not as formal. My attorney emailed the GAL and copied OC. OC emailed my attorney and copied the GAL. Letters were sent and papers were filed and the machine chugged along while everybody did their job and collected their paychecks. My speculation is that status conferences are usually scheduled when one party or the other isn't responding to request or being obstructionist or uncooperative. Or it's some sort of strategy. Since everyone is free to communicate among themselves a status conference it used so one side or the other can get in front of the judge and point at the other one's misdeeds and "MAKE THE JUDGE MAD".

That's my swag at it.

Maybe this has something to do with a child support being a week late.
Vega
100+ Posts

Postby Fatheroffour » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:37 pm

Status conference for CS being a week late? What kind of tool bag waste everyone's time with that? Who scheduled the hearing?

Your attorney should be able to find out with a simple phone call to OC. It's a colossal waste of the courts time for everyone to show up and one side is the only side that has any idea what they're there for. Not much productive could possibly come out of that.

What do I know? I'm no lawyer.
Everyone lies.
Fatheroffour

Postby beenthere » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:56 pm

In my state, status hearings (also called case management conferences) are the rule. Someone files something and a status hearing gets scheduled to see what "progress" is being made--i.e. discovery, mediation, negotiations, etc.--before a final pretrial hearing which is before a final hearing.

Your status hearing could have been scheduled to check on the progress between attorneys and clients regarding a divorce petition, custody petition, temporary support petition--you name it...

It doesn't get scheduled out of the blue without some filing before the court.

In my experiences, these "hearings" last about 3 minutes--brief questions from the judge to the attorneys and then another one gets scheduled until both attorneys agree that they are each ready for trial.

It's a useful tool to generate income for attorneys and to clog up the court's schedule...
Instead of getting married again, I'm just going to find a woman I don't like and give her a house.
beenthere
500+ Posts

Postby Vega » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:27 pm

beenthere wrote:In my state, status hearings (also called case management conferences) are the rule. Someone files something and a status hearing gets scheduled to see what "progress" is being made--i.e. discovery, mediation, negotiations, etc.--before a final pretrial hearing which is before a final hearing.

Your status hearing could have been scheduled to check on the progress between attorneys and clients regarding a divorce petition, custody petition, temporary support petition--you name it...

It doesn't get scheduled out of the blue without some filing before the court.

In my experiences, these "hearings" last about 3 minutes--brief questions from the judge to the attorneys and then another one gets scheduled until both attorneys agree that they are each ready for trial.

It's a useful tool to generate income for attorneys and to clog up the court's schedule...

Mu thoughts exactly. Nothing but money making tools. And another chance for her attorney to trash me. Great.
Vega
100+ Posts

Return to Before and During Divorce Forum